• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

1 Wouldn't It Be Nice

2 You Still Believe in Me

3 That's Not Me

4 Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)

5 I'm Waiting For the Day

6 Let's Go Away for Awhile

7 Sloop John B

8 God Only Knows

9 I Know There's an Answer

10 Here Today

11 I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

12 Pet Sounds

13 Caroline No

Music

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Side One

"Too High" - 4:37

"Visions" - 5:17

"Living for the City" - 7:26

"Golden Lady" - 5:00

Side Two

"Higher Ground" - 3:54

"Jesus Children of America" - 4:04

"All in Love Is Fair" - 3:45

"Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" - 4:55

"He's Misstra Know It All" - 6:06

Any help with audio would be appreciated. The main reason I like these albums is they are very original and timeless.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I was going to nominate Innervisions, phil! Excellent choice. Here is a review I wrote in the Album Reviews forum back in 2005.

There are many debates as to which Stevie record is the greatest. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of them, pre-eighties. Personally, I love "Innervisions" the most. It is an amazingly cohesive record...the songs just flow into one another. This was released in 1973 when Stevie was truly coming into his own, finding his own brand of funk and soul. It is filled with a great mix of personal songs of love and heartache as well as songs about important social issues, such as drug abuse and racism. The most played songs from the record are "Higher Ground" and "Living for the City", but every track deserves to be recognized. One of my favorites is "Vision"...

People hand in hand

Have I lived to see the milk and honey land?

Where hate's a dream and love forever stands

Or is this a vision in my mind?

Stevie may be blind, but that brother can truly see. :bow:

And here is what the almighty Wikipedia has to say about it...

"Innervisions is an album by Stevie Wonder, released on Tamla/Motown on August 3, 1973 (see 1973 in music). It was the third of five consecutive albums widely hailed as his "classic period", along with Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Fulfillingness' First Finale, and Songs in the Key of Life. The nine tracks that make up Innervisions encompass a wide range of themes and issues: from drug references in "Too High" and "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing"; social anger in "Higher Ground" and "Living for the City"; to love in the ballads "All in Love is Fair" and "Golden Lady." The album's closer, "He's Misstra Know It All," is a scathing attack on then-US President Richard Nixon, similar to his song "You Haven't Done Nothin'".

As with many of Stevie Wonder's albums the lyrics, composition and production are almost entirely his own work, with the synthesizer used prominently throughout the album.

Innervisions won Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording in 1974, while "Living for the City" won the Grammy for Best R&B Song.

Innervisions is considered by many fans, critics, and colleagues to be Stevie Wonder's magnum opus and one of the greatest albums in pop music history.[1] In 2001, VH1 named it the 31st greatest album of all time. In 2003, the album was ranked number 23 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time."

coldplayparachutesalbumyp0.jpg

Summer of 2000: I fell in love.

"Music doesn't come more touching than this."

:headphones:

Don't Panic

Shiver

Spies

Sparks

Yellow Trouble

Parachutes

High speed

We never change

Everything's Not Lost

(Includes Hidden Track 'Life Is For Living')

I love everything about this album. There isn't one skipable song, not one.

It's the way there is such quiet consolation in the music, the gentlest touch from the vocals, every drumbeat like a docile heartbeat. It is tender, but far from depressing and rather beautiful.

I spent nearly every afternoon that summer out of the sun in my room falling asleep under the ceiling fan, listening to this album on repeat.

Parachutes is the debut album by English rock band Coldplay, released on July 10, 2000 in the UK and on November 7 in the U.S., making it the only Coldplay album to have a delayed release in America. Parachutes quickly shot to number one in the United Kingdom, staying in the top ten for thirty-three weeks.

In 2006 the album was placed #33 in NME's 100 greatest British albums.

2002 Grammy Awards - Best Alternative Music Album

Why do I think you should nominate it against music from 25/30/40/50 years ago? Because there was and is some really worthwhile music made in the last 20 years, and this is one of those standout albums that proves it :)

"If you ever feel neglected

If you think that all is lost

I'll be counting up my demons, yeah

Hoping everything's not lost"

Sorry if I'm stealing someone else's nomination again. :grin:

automaticcoverhh9.jpg

Automatic For The People - REM

Track listing

All songs written by Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Michael Stipe.

1. "Drive" - 4:31

2. "Try Not to Breathe" - 3:50

3. "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite" - 4:06

4. "Everybody Hurts" - 5:17

5. "New Orleans Instrumental No. 1" - 2:13

6. "Sweetness Follows" - 4:19

7. "Monty Got a Raw Deal" - 3:17

8. "Ignoreland" - 4:24

9. "Star Me Kitten" - 3:15

10. "Man on the Moon" - 5:13

11. "Nightswimming" - 4:16

12. "Find the River" - 3:50

From Wikipedia:

Automatic For The People continues the folk/country rock/classical pop elements of Green and Out of Time but with fewer pop elements and a generally more sombre tone overall. U2's Bono called it 'the greatest country record never made'.

The album name refers to the motto of Athens, Georgia eatery "Weaver D's Delicious Fine Foods." The photograph on the front cover is not related to the restaurant: it shows a sign on a motel in Miami, where part of the album was recorded. The album was also recorded in New Orleans.

Arriving on the heels of the previous year's breakthrough album Out of Time, Automatic for the People entered the United States charts at #2, selling over four million copies there, and spent several weeks at #1 in the United Kingdom. Despite the new album's success, R.E.M. declined to tour in support of Automatic for the People, just as it had for Out of Time the previous year.

Automatic for the People had six singles released, tied with Monster for the most from any R.E.M. album. Many of Automatic for the People's songs proved to be very popular: "Drive", "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite", "Everybody Hurts", "Nightswimming", "Find the River", and the Andy Kaufman tribute "Man on the Moon", which would become the title of the comedian's 1999 biographical movie starring Jim Carrey. "Drive", the album's opening track and first single, was not included on the band's hits collection In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003, nor was final single (and final track) "Find the River". However, four tracks from Automatic for the People were included, more songs than from any of their other albums.

John Paul Jones, formerly the bassist for Led Zeppelin, in his second career string arrangement, scored the strings for "Drive," "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite," "Everybody Hurts" and "Nightswimming."

It has been revealed that Kurt Cobain was likely listening to Automatic for the People sometime before his death on April 5, 1994. The song "Everybody Hurts" had in fact been composed by Michael Stipe (its music was written by Bill Berry) as a reaction to an epidemic of suicides among young people. Stipe, a friend of Cobain's, later wrote the song "Let Me In" about Cobain's death. It has been speculated that before his death, Cobain was looking to develop his own music in a more acoustic direction due partly to the influence of Automatic for the People and his contact with Stipe. Nirvana's 1993 unplugged performance later released on CD has been cited as evidence for this.

Sue and Chris: I love you both :grin:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

And the spies came out of the water

But you're feeling so bad 'cos you know

And the spies hide out in every corner

But you can't touch them no

'Cos they're all spies...

Spies ~ Coldplay

Hey now, little speedyhead,

The read on the speedometer says

You have to go to task in the city

Where people drown and people serve

Don't be shy. Your just deserve

Is only just light years to go...

Find the River ~ R.E.M.

Don's here, Scott's here, Susan's here and everyone's nominating great albums! I'm happy :grin:

Okay, my turn *ahem* :

-----------

inutero.jpg

In Utero - Nirvana

The anticlimactic follow-up to Nevermind. In Utero does not have the high standards of production that made Nevermind such a commercial success. Nirvana worked with Steve Albini on this record and aimed for a more natural, raw sound.

Wiki: 'Cobain told Request magazine in 1993, "For the most part I wanted to work with him because he happened to produce two of my favorite records, which were Surfer Rosa [by the Pixies] and Pod [by the Breeders]." Inspired by those albums, Cobain wanted to utilize Albini's technique of capturing the natural ambience of a room via the usage and placement of several microphones, something previous Nirvana producers had been averse to trying.'

Track List:

1. Serve The Servants

2. Scentless Apprentice

3. Heart-Shaped Box

4. Rape me

5. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle

6. Dumb

7. Very Ape

8. Milk It

9. Pennyroyal Tea

10. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

11. Tourette's

12. All Apologies

- Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip

Rolling Stone: 'The very first words out of Cobain's mouth in " Serve The Servants ," In Utero's petulant, bludgeoning opener, are "Teenage angst has paid off well/Now I'm bored and old," sung in an irritated, marble-mouthed snarl that immediately derails any lingering expectations for a son of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."'

NME: 'The band may well see ' Scentless Apprentice ' as commercial suicide, but what was probably planned as a grating, record company kiss-off survives a brutal self-mauling and comes out with a horde of hardcore converts in tow. At times like this Nirvana are untouchable.'

Try out (if you don't already know)

Heart-Shaped Box

Pennyroyal Tea

All Apologies (album version)

Dumb

BBC: 'It seems odd that a record something so unexpectedly successful could spawn something that so apparently attempts to be the opposite, but such was the staggering level of expectation post-Nevermind that Nirvana brilliantly seek to upset and confound absolutely everyone.

[in Utero is] powerful, personal, psychological, physiological, scatological, paranoid, frenzied and exhausting, beautifully frank and funny and poetic and infectious and disarming and saddening and upsetting and willfully uncomfortable. And great.'

THIS album is Nirvana. It's their peak. And if you listen closely, you see why it blows Nevermind away.

Billy Joel-The Stranger-1977

51CjipN9EUL__AA240_.jpg

1. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)

2. The Stranger

3. Just The Way You Are

4. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant

5. Vienna

6. Only The Good Die Young

7. She's Always A Woman

8. Get It Right The First Time

9. Everybody Has A Dream

I wore out my parents cassette of this album. Some of Billy Joel's best known and best all around songs.

Just the Way You Are

Carole King-Tapestry

51X8SV6rWcL__AA240_.jpg

1. I Feel The Earth Move

2. So Far Away

3. It's Too Late

4. Home Again

5. Beautiful

6. Way Over Yonder

7. You've Got A Friend

8. Where You Lead

9. Will You Love Me Tomorrow?

10. Smackwater Jack

11. Tapestry

12. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman

I can't count how many times I've listened to this record. Carole King gives us songs for every mood on Tapestry. Some of her best known songs appear here and were later covered by other artist-James Taylor had a huge hit with "You've Got a Friend," and Aretha Franklin made "Natural Woman" her own.

Wiki on Tapestry

You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Woman)

Edited by Guest

Since Laurie stole my very first inclination of a nomination, and Lucky stole the second (albeit un-allowable) one, I'll go with the third and fourth that blew through my brain like a bullet.

1. Stevie Nicks ~ Bella Donna

2. The Sweet ~ Desolation Boulevard

Like B-F, I'm album-cover-picture challenged. Farin - help! :)

P.S. This does NOT mean I have given up Roger for the Sweet, but rather that more people will know the Sweet, and it does have a very special place in my heart.

So many great albums mentioned including many of my favorites. Here are two more:

Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees

SilkDegrees.jpg

1. What Can I Say

2. Georgia

3. Jump Street

4. What Do You Want The Girl To Do

5. Harbor Lights

6. Lowdown

7. It's Over

8. Love Me Tomorrow

9. Lido Shuffle

10. We're All Alone

11. What Can I Say

12. Jump Street

13. It's Over

Don McLean-Tapestry

Don_McLean_-_Tapestry_Coverart.png

1-Castles in the Air

2-General Store

3-Magdalene Lane

4-Tapestry

5-Respectable

6-Orphans of Wealth

7-Three Flights Up

8-And I Love You So

9-Bad Girl

10-Circus Song

11-No Reason for Your Dreams

Edited by Guest
Sorry Shannon, I should've known you nominated Carole King.

^ 'tis true. And here's the list of albums that have been nominated so far

NOMINATIONS (till now)

(What's The Story?) Morning Glory? - Oasis

Animals - Pink Floyd

At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers

Automatic For The People - R.E.M.

Back In Black - AC/DC

Bad Company - Bad Company

Band, The - The Band

Bella Donna - Stevie Nicks

Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan

Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Breakfast In America - Supertramp

Cosmo's Factory - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash

Desolation Boulevard - The Sweet

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Doors, The - The Doors

Dr. John's Gumbo - Dr. John

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) - King Crimson

In Utero - Nirvana

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

LIVE' Bullet - Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band

London Calling - The Clash

OK Computer - Radiohead

Parachutes - Coldplay

Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars, The - David Bowie

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Silk Degrees - Boz Scaggs

Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones

Stranger, The - Billy Joel

Tapestry - Carole King

Transformer - Lou Reed

White Album, The - The Beatles

That's a rather nice lot of albums we've got :shades: Keep 'em coming! :headphones:

Edited by Guest
Nudging Noms