The Ten Greatest Albums Of All Time

Levis

This time around, the Songfactors choose:

[big]The Greatest Albums Of All Time[/big]

... The name says it all :beatnik:

Here are the rules:

1. Nominate two of your very favourite albums... Either because you think they haven't got the recognition they deserve, or because you feel they were or are going to be a crucial aspect of music history.

Gist: Nominate

2. Nominations will be open for about a week or till all the regular top-tenners have got their picks in. When voting opens, pick your ten favourites from the list provided and rank them in your order of preference (as always)

Gist: Vote

3. IMPORTANT: These aren't songs... these are albums. Support your nomination with video or audio clips and try to tell us WHY you picked it. Does it mean something to you? Does it mean something to the world? What's your nomination got to offer that the others don't?

Gist: Campaign

And before everyone gets all excited and we get a barrage of "big names" bear in mind:

Only One Album Per Artist

...can be nominated. That's right... we're operating on a first come, first serve basis.

So...

Get your nominations in NOW! :headphones:

(PS: Don't try to be clever and get away with nominating Greatest Hits compilations - not allowed! :shades:)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pinkfloydanimalsfrontalns1.jpg

Pink Floyd - Animals

To heck with Dark Side! Probably the best use of guitar to come out of 1977 (we're not counting all this punk output), this was the breakthrough album for Roger Water's beliefs of the darkness of the world. Taking the ideas of Animal Farm and expanding of them, Waters guides us through the several layers of human society, blasting the greedy pigs that rule, lamenting the mislead dogs, and supporting the lower-class, exploited sheep. A true treat showing the band's triumphs in a year where other prog/art-rocks band were fading away.

Select cuts:

And...

direstraits1978nf1.jpg

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

It amazes me how young these guys were, while they were recording this. They sound like natural club players, performing to the joy of some late-night London tripping crowd. The Knopfler brothers and their supporting crews send you places through the dark, misty London night, with echoing guitar & well thought-out lyrics. A tough gem to crack that doesn't sound like anything else coming out of 1978, and it doesn't sound dated either!

Select cuts:

FleetwoodMac-Rumours1977.jpg

Fleetwood Mac ~ Rumours (1977)

1. Second Hand News

2. Dreams

3. Never Going Back Again

4. Don't Stop

5. Go Your Own Way

6. Songbird

7. Silver Springs

8. Chain, The

9. You Make Loving Fun

10. I Don't Want To Know

11. Oh Daddy

12. Gold Dust Woman

Love, love, love this album!....growing up in the 70's, this is one album that I wore out by playing it so much....and now having the cd, I still listen to it to this day....An excellent album by one of the biggest groups of the 70's....this group has amazing talent, and I love every song on it.....there's no skipping over any on this one! If I had to list select cuts it would have to be every song!......But I'll list "The Chain" for now....along with some photos of the band... :)

The Chain

Edited by Guest

That's it I was testing you! :)

So, I'll nominate Cosmos Factory instead. Every Creedence album released spawned hit singles. This particular one gave us 6. The album was #1 here in the U.S., #1 in the UK, and was even #11 on the Soul charts.

41ogEGQF4oL_AA240_.jpg

Side one

1. "Ramble Tamble"

2. "Before You Accuse Me"

3. "Travelin' Band"

4. "Ooby Dooby"

5. "Lookin' Out My Back Door"

6. "Run Through the Jungle"

Side Two

1. "Up Around the Bend"

2. "My Baby Left Me"

3. "Who'll Stop the Rain"

4. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

5. "Long as I Can See the Light"

You know you love these songs, and the rest of the album as well.... ;)

Travelin' Band

Who'll Stop The Rain

Lookin' Out My Back Door

1- Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones (1971)

200pxstickyfingersul8.jpg

1- Brown Sugar

(Bobby Keys:saxophone, Ian Stewart: piano)

2. Sway

(Strings arranged by Paul Buckmaster

Nicky Hopkins:piano, Mick Jagger: rhythm guitar, Keith Richards: back-up vocals)

3. Wild Horses

(Jim Dickinson: piano)

4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking

(Billy Preston: organ, Bobby Keys: saxophone, Jimmy Miller: precussion)

5. You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis)

6. Bitch

(Bobby Keys: saxophone, Jim Price:trumpet, Jimmy Miller: percussion)

7. I Got the Blues

(Bobby Keys: saxophone, Jim Price: trumpet, Billy Preston: organ)

8. Sister Morphine (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards/Marianne Faithfull)

(Ry Cooder: guitar, Jack Nitzche: piano)

9. Dead Flowers

(Ian Stewart: piano, Mick Jagger: acoustic guitar)

10. Moonlight Mile

(Strings arranged by Paul Buckmaster.

Jim Price: piano, Mick Jagger:acoustic guitar)

Wild Horses (starts at min. 40 or so... from "Gimme Shelter", the movie...)

Sway

Moonlight Mile

Brown Sugar

I Got The Blues

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

2- "Transformer" - Lou Reed (1972)

14341441983919863tp7.jpg

Tracks:

Side one

1. "Vicious"

2. "Andy's Chest"

3. "Perfect Day"

4. "Hangin' 'Round"

5. "Walk on the Wild Side"

6. "Make Up"

Side two

1. "Satellite of Love"

2. "Wagon Wheel"

3. "New York Telephone Conversation"

4. "I'm So Free"

5. "Goodnight Ladies"

All songs written by Lou Reed.

Lou Reed plays guitar, keyboards and sings; Herbie Flowers plays bass and tuba; Mick Ronson plays lead guitar, piano, recorder and sings backing vocals; Klaus Voorman plays bass; string and bass arrangements by Mick Ronson; produced by David Bowie and Mick Ronson; vocal backings: Bowie, Ronson and The Thunder Thighs.

"Perfect Day" - A Perfect Song

:bow: :bow:

"Walk On The Wild Side" - The classic...

"Satellite of Love" -

"New York Telephone Conversation"

"Goodnight Ladies"

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

This is a bit tricky for me.

In my experience, my favourite albums tend to be

a) ones that nobody else has heard of, or

B) ones that some have heard of, but have regrettably, never actually heard, or

c) ones that a few people have heard, but which nobody likes

Add to that my disability with regard to posting eye-catching images of album sleeves, and I'm not convinced there is anything much to be gained from my contribution here. :crazy:

morningglory.jpg

[big](What's The Story) Morning Glory -- Oasis[/big]

1. Hello (Gallagher/Glitter/Leander) (3:21)

2. Roll with It (4:00)

3. Wonderwall (4:19)

4. Don't Look Back in Anger (4:48)

5. Hey Now! (5:41)

6. Untitled (aka "The Swamp Song - Excerpt 1") (0:43)

7. Some Might Say (5:31)

8. Cast No Shadow (4:52)

9. She's Electric (3:40)

10. Morning Glory (5:03)

11. Untitled (aka "The Swamp Song - Excerpt 2") (0:41)

12. Champagne Supernova (7:27)

All songs written by Noel Gallagher except where noted.

In 1994, Oasis released their debut album and went in with a bang when "Definitely Maybe" went straight to the top of the charts and quickly became the fastest-selling debut album of all time in the UK. The first album they ever released gained them a huge following and made them one of the biggest and most popular acts of the time, but their second album made very sure they wouldn't lose that spot again anytime soon: "(What's The Story) Morning Glory". Widely hailed as Oasis' masterpiece, it did not only secure them fame that would last for years to come even if they'd split up after this album, but it also became their, and arguably even britpop's, defining album. Recorded in less than two weeks, it contained almost exclusively self-penned songs and spawned six hit singles, and there's everything from melancholy ballads like "Cast No Shadow" to catchy hits like "Don't Look Back In Anger" or faster, rocking numbers like "Morning Glory".

Wonderwall

Probably Oasis' most famous song, "Wonderwall" was their breakthrough single in America.

Don't Look Back In Anger

Almost as famous as "Wonderwall", this song borrows the piano from "Imagine" but is unmistakably Oasis.

Some Might Say

My personal favourite off this album and their first #1 single. Along with "Listen Up", this song to me is Oasis. It's got everything that's so very typical of them and defines their sound more than any other song.

Champagne Supernova

It starts off as one of the quieter songs on the album, but as it builds up in speed it turns into one of Oasis' most powerful songs.

^ regardless of what I think of the persons involved,

that album is one of the Best :thumbsup:

This is a bit tricky for me.

In my experience, my favourite albums tend to be

a) ones that nobody else has heard of, or

B) ones that some have heard of, but have regrettably, never actually heard, or

c) ones that a few people have heard, but which nobody likes

Add to that my disability with regard to posting eye-catching images of album sleeves, and I'm not convinced there is anything much to be gained from my contribution here. :crazy:

well, I don't know if I can help with the issues a, b and c, but posting album sleeves or other media shouldn't be a problem... we can help you out there :thumbsup:

bad_co01.jpg

Bad Company ~ Bad Co. (1974)

Can't Get Enough

Rock Steady

Ready For Love

Don't Let Me Down

Bad Company

The Way I Choose

Movin' On

Seagull

This album ROCKS!....I remember the day my sister bought this album and she played the heck out of this one, and I loved it....It's just good straight rock and roll....I also loved "Straight Shooter"....but I went with this one, their debut album instead...

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

^ regardless of what I think of the persons involved,

that album is one of the Best :thumbsup:

well, I don't know if I can help with the issues a, b and c, but posting album sleeves or other media shouldn't be a problem... we can help you out there :thumbsup:

As for B) ... audio/video clips might help a bit?

Radiohead- OK Computer

This is THE album of the last 20 years, it was produced by master musicians, the songs are mindblowingly good, and the album flows into one continuous opus.

Airbag- the opener...what an opener, the whole album starts with Johnny Greenwood getting all that he can out of some simple cords, and from there, it progresses into a synthy sci fi masterpiece... and it rocks.

Followed by Paranoid Android- The six minute tune about Marvin the robot from Hitchhiker's guide... how awesome is that? It starts out ominous, then it rocks, then they get symphonic... comes back to creepy and ominous...

Subterranean Homesick Alien Blues- a very pretty song, it's a great song about aliens, what more could you want?

Karma Police- 1984 and symphonic rock awesomeness... what more could you want

Electioneering- ROCKS! This has got to be one of the best guitar riffs ever... I go forwards you go backwards.... it's great

Climbing up the walls- get some good speakers, set them up around you, crank the volume, and listen to one of the best done songs ever... every single sound, every note.... totally atmospheric, and Thom's voice...eerie.

Finally

No Surprises= BEAUTIFUL, it's fairly simple as far as Radiohead goes... but it's a great ballad...greatgreatgreatgreatgreat, and the lyrics, amazing

No alarms...and no surprises....

anyway, those are the standout tracks of OK, it's awesome.