The Songfactors' Choice: The Very Best of 2007!

Lucky

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I find it depressing. It's not meant to be "classic". It was meant to be the Best of 2007, for pity's sake.

I'm not about to impugn any of these albums or the artists involved: I'm sure they are all splendid albums in their own right, and all by artists of longstanding and justified repute. What I find depressing is that this was meant to be "The Best Albums of 2007", yet 4 out of 5 are by artists who arguably enjoyed their heydays in the 1970s. Are we to believe that more recent artists simply can't cut it, when up against these "giants of yesteryear" (albeit giants who continue to put out credible, worthwhile material)? I don't believe this to be true: the world is full of great music, created by artists young, old and in-between. 2007 undoubtedly saw the release of countless excellent albums, of which I sadly possess but a few. I feel that this "poll outcome" reflects a collective essential conservatism, an unconscious rejection of that which is new, interesting, groundbreaking, adventurous. Our critical ear is superseded by the comfort of sentimental attachment. (I daresay I am oft-times complicit in this conspiracy of complacency.)

In all honesty, I suppose I'm disappointed because outcomes like this suddenly make me feel out of place, and cause me to question the purpose of my being here.

You have a point b-f, I cannot deny that (not in questioning your purpose... :) ). It wasn't meant to be classic. Again I guess the results just fall to the people that nominated and voted. We'll have some other themes coming up that might end in results more to your liking, though, I think. That is the beauty of this forum, it's ever-changing. :)

As far as questioning your purpose here.... you're here cause you love our company so much of course! That is right, is it not?? ;)

But I've to agree too, that's what I thought as well... a list of the best albums of 2007 should include modern artists who are making an impact now because it's their era... not artists who were in their primes more than 30 years ago, or artists who release albums now that were recorded decades ago. I do mostly prefer older bands to more modern music, and that's also why I didn't nominate anything, but this is the kind of list where I'd rather not see them.

I stayed away from this thread because I didn't buy any albums in 2007 and I felt like listening to samples wouldn't give me enough knowledge of the nominated albums.

I don't make resolutions normally, but mine this year is to be able to make some informed nominations for this list next year.

A very classic list. I personally like it! :)

It's true, it is very classic list, due of course to the people that nominated and voted. Different participation would change the results. But for me, it works just fine. I'm actually planning to spend cash for entire albums, which is pretty amazing... ;)

I suppose you could call this list classic, but honestly, are any of these albums going to be considered a classic in 20 years? I doubt any of the albums mentioned will be remembered.

Well, I find it depressing. It's not meant to be "classic". It was meant to be the Best of 2007, for pity's sake.

I'm not about to impugn any of these albums or the artists involved: I'm sure they are all splendid albums in their own right, and all by artists of longstanding and justified repute. What I find depressing is that this was meant to be "The Best Albums of 2007", yet 4 out of 5 are by artists who arguably enjoyed their heydays in the 1970s. Are we to believe that more recent artists simply can't cut it, when up against these "giants of yesteryear" (albeit giants who continue to put out credible, worthwhile material)? I don't believe this to be true: the world is full of great music, created by artists young, old and in-between. 2007 undoubtedly saw the release of countless excellent albums, of which I sadly possess but a few. I feel that this "poll outcome" reflects a collective essential conservatism, an unconscious rejection of that which is new, interesting, groundbreaking, adventurous. Our critical ear is superseded by the comfort of sentimental attachment. (I daresay I am oft-times complicit in this conspiracy of complacency.)

In all honesty, I suppose I'm disappointed because outcomes like this suddenly make me feel out of place, and cause me to question the purpose of my being here.

I agree completely.

I suppose you could call this list classic, but honestly, are any of these albums going to be considered a classic in 20 years? I doubt any of the albums mentioned will be remembered.

I agree with you on that point, maybe those are not the best albums of Neil Young or the Boss or The White Stripes... not even of 2007. But how can someone tell what will be a classic in 20 years? :shades: When I heard Sgt Peppers for the first time I thought it was disturbing... (well, I was only 11 :grin: ) and when the Psychedelic Furs released "Mirror Moves" we all (critics and experts) said "This is going to be remembered forever!"... but no.

I agree with you on that point, maybe those are not the best albums of Neil Young or the Boss or The White Stripes... not even of 2007. But how can someone tell what will be a classic in 20 years? :shades: When I heard Sgt Peppers for the first time I thought it was disturbing... (well, I was only 11 :grin: ) and when the Psychedelic Furs released "Mirror Moves" we all (critics and experts) said "This is going to be remembered forever!"... but no.

Well, when you think of the Stones, do you think of "Let it Bleed" or "Bridges to Babylon?" I think it's going to be the same way with the bands on this list. The Eagles will probably be remembered for Hell Freezes Over (unfortunately), but why would anyone remember a lame comeback album 30 years after their prime? From the stuff I've heard, there's nothing innovative or unique about their new album, it's just a rehash of their old style. The albums that are remembered are the albums that are

1) innovative

2) sound unique, and

3) point towards the future of music.

While the third one is impossible to judge, I think it's safe to say that Long Road Out of Eden, Magic, and Raising Sand do not fit the first two requirements. And it's not like there's a lack of innovative and unique albums from 2007. Porcupine Tree, Animal Collective, Battles, Panda Bear, Stars of the Lid, MIA, LCD Soundsystem, Menomena, Amon Tobin, and Deerhoof are just a few of the artists who really pushed the envelope musically last year.

And lets face it, if Magic, Raising Sand, and Long Road out of Eden were made by current artists, nobody on this website would even care about them.

Ugh, I think I'm going to have to go for a while.

Well, when you think of the Stones, do you think of "Let it Bleed" or "Bridges to Babylon?" I think it's going to be the same way with the bands on this list. The Eagles will probably be remembered for Hell Freezes Over (unfortunately), but why would anyone remember a lame comeback album 30 years after their prime? From the stuff I've heard, there's nothing innovative or unique about their new album, it's just a rehash of their old style. The albums that are remembered are the albums that are

1) innovative

2) sound unique, and

3) point towards the future of music.

You´re right once again... :cool:

And of course, when I think Stones I will never think "Rivers of Babylon" (sorry, "Bridges To Babylon"... :grin: )

just a quick recap to close this off :)

The Songfactors' Choice: The Very Best of 2007

Long Road Out Of Eden - Eagles

Icky Thump - The White Stripes

Live at Massey Hall 1971 - Neil Young

Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Magic - Bruce Springsteen

:guitar:

the next Songfators' Choice will start soon!

be sure to check it out

:headphones: