chinchu

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this little show i saw at Shea in 1976:

23/7/76 Shea Stadium Flushing, NY. USA

Tull vs. Boeing

BBC Scotland later claimed that this was the first rock concert at this venue since The Beatles; not true.

With 'Tull-avision'. Support: Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher.

Thick As A Brick, To Cry You A Song, A New Day Yesterday (w. flute solo, incl. Bourée)/Living In The Past, Too Old To Rock'N'Roll..., Minstrel In The Gallery, Beethoven's Ninth, My God, Cross-Eyed Mary, Encore: Guitar Solo, Wind Up, Back-Door Angels, Locomotive Breath/Wind Up (reprise), Dambusters March/Back Door Angels (reprise)

What about one of those Bowie & The Spiders shows RonJon?

Katie...I was simply pointing out another Shea Stadium Show I was at but that first Bowie show on Valentine's Day 1973 was it for me. I was 15 years old ( OK 14 and a half) and couldn't imagine more of a rock and roll spectacle. The greatest concert I ever saw:

Feb-14th 1973 (St. Valentines Day)

KEY CONCERT: Radio City Music Hall, New York. This is Bowie's big breakthrough in the US. The show was becoming even more outrageous with many new costume changes and more bizarre make-up. Both shows are a sell-out of 6,200 people each. Attending celebrities include Truman Capote, Salvador Dali (a fan who has attended other Bowie performances), Johnny Winter and Todd Rundgren. Bowie faints on stage after a fan leaps on the stage during "Rock n Roll Suicide" and embraces him. He is diagnosed by an attending nurse as suffering from exhaustion (blocked pores from the makeup is also blamed) and sleeps 12 hours straight the next day. Rumours suggest that gunshots rang out before Bowie collapsed but audience tapes do not support this fanciful theory.

"The giant auditorium was filled with Walter Carlos' recorded cybernetic music from Clockwork Orange, as several layers of curtains parted to reveal a giant screen on which was projected an animated film of the cosmos rushing at light speed at the viewer. A single spotlight opened up on a set of large concentric spheres welded into a cage and suspended 50 feet above the floor of the stage, in the middle of which was standing a stern and staring Bowie clad in a black silver silk garment, the first of what would be five different costumes that night. It was truly an amazing sight: Bowie the noted acrophobe, who won't fly in planes or ascend above a certain level in buildings, coolly gazing at his adoring fans, while his band, The Spiders From Mars, augmented by six additional musicians on horns and percussion, cranked into "Hang Onto Yourself".... At times Bowie acted out his role as a straight pop singer, a sort of hyperthyroid Anthony Newley; at others he would change into a progressively more skimpy costume and whip his arse around, a campy gamine leg-throw here, a cute barefoot pirouette there. Those songs dealing with Bowie's starkly paranoid themes of rock-star death, impending planetary doom and coming suicide were treated as little theater pieces, playlets recited and acted rather than sung and played." - Stephen Davis - Rolling Stone Magazine.

Crikey. I saw Alice Cooper during his Glass Spider tour... that was when I was about 16... and I didn't even really know who he was. Don't remember much about the concert... except that it was a lot of fun, and the guy that took me was hot. :grin:

I would remember if I took you to that show Shawna...One of the best things about going to see rock shows in New York when I was 14, was that i had to sneak into the city. My parents weren't letting me go into New York alone (or with my crazy friends)at that age. When I turned 17 I used to steal my Mom's care and take it into New York...that was fun.

Bruce Springsteen, August 10, 2002, MCI Center, Washington, DC. Bruce was on tour in support of "The Rising" album, his first album post-9/11. The audience, being in one of the three areas attacked on 9/11, experienced a show of revival-like proportions. I've been to hundreds of shows and never had the moving experience like I had that night.

Tom Petty W/ Pearl Jam

I'm a huge Petty fan, and PJ opened... and they are unbelievably good live... practically Godlike, they play the new stuff with the same level of intensity and perfection a the old 'Ten'era stuff... and this show was like oh.. 4 months after the release of the excellent 'Pearl Jam' and it was an almost two hour set.. and then Tom came on, and just blew my mind.. can't even explain it unless you've seen him live before.. I mean that guy IS rock'n'roll in it's purest, and it seemed like he had a deal worked with security at the Pepsi center, as no security was wondering the aisles, so when it got time to say the line 'let's roll another joint'... well the audience took the advice.

Then I got to see Modest Mouse a bit ago... which is a closecloseclose second for best concert... it was the latest tour so Johnny Marr (from Morrissey's group) was playing with them... and he is amazing... basically it was a super-solid high energy, INTENSE concert in a general admission standing room only venue... lots of dancing and a hella good time.