The Songfactors' Choice: Holiday Special

Lucky

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have ended with a great mix of Holiday Classics, both Traditional and original. All of these songs have memories associated with them for me, and I personally love them all!

Our lovely Shawna (she of the "always a bridesmaid never a bride" of the Top Tens :) ) gave us the most popular Christmas Classic. This song has been around since 1966, when it was introduced in the childrens' animated classic "How The Grinch Stole Christmas". Thurl Ravenscroft (Tony the Tiger) was the vocalist for the animated classic, although he was not credited, and for years many thought that it was Boris Karloff (the very appropriate narrator of the classic cartoon).

In 2000 the 1957 Dr Suess favorite was remade by Ron Howard as a live action film, starring Jim Carrey, as the unlovable Grinch.

"How THE GRINCH Stole Christmas!"

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" was released in 1965. LINUS and LUCY by Vince Guaraldi became the theme of the Peanuts franchise, and we were given a song that has become a traditional Christmastime favorite.

Linus and Lucy Listen here. :)

Charlie Brown and Linus discover the meaning of Christmas. The sweet innocence of children! :)

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was written in 1934 and covered by many (many) musicians over the years, but maybe one of the most famous versions - and definitely the most famous Rock version of it, is the one by Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen

Studio version with an amateur video

Live: 20th September 1978 - Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

Hooray for Christmas! I'm making my way through all the specials: Emmett Otter, Rudolph, Frosty and repeated viewings of Elf. Saving my favoites for last: Christmas Story and Robbie The Reindeer (which has a brilliant use of "Crazy" by Seal - performed by a seal).

Hope all of your holidays are warm and fuzzy. :)

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was written in 1934 and covered by many (many) musicians over the years, but maybe one of the most famous versions - and definitely the most famous Rock version of it, is the one by Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen

Studio version with an amateur video

Live: 20th September 1978 - Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

Just a side note...the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ was one of the greatest concert halls in the area....the best bands and shows came through...if you actully survived the neighborhood, then you came home with some good memories.