Abbey Road - The Beatles

chinchu

In my own personal opinion, one of the two best Beatles album, the other one is the White album... This is just great music, plus, it has my favorite song of all time, Something... You have to understand something: Too many people keep talking about Sgt. Pepper, what's the big deal about Sgt. Pepper??? It's good I'll give you that, but, people think it's genius just because they're the Beatles and they released a weird album... From the White album on, if you notice, The Beatles set the way rock and pop songs would be written later on in the seventies, hence the 80's and 90's... Thnk about that...

I remember when AR was released. I was almost 14 so imagine how we all longed for that "next" Beatle album... which I immediately liked but it took some time before I loved it. It´s not my favorite Beatle album but yet a very good one.

"Oh! Darling", "I Want You (She´s So Heavy") or "Something" are great songs.

"Abbey Road" is one of the two CD's I picked up at the store and then made my girlfriend pay for them and wrap them up as Christmas presents.

"Ramones Greatest Hits" is the other. I'll receive both of them on Christmas Eve.

:grin: :grin:

Hey, the graemlins are back in their original places! I was just getting used to the new locales.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

abbey road is pretty good, it's a great collection of songs... but that's what it is... a great collection of songs, it's like they don't 'belong' together at times... Basically what I'm saying is while it has great songs, it's just not much of an album... Let It Be has the same feeling... it's like I can hear all the stress and 'bad vibes' that were runnin' round the studio during recording.

Personally, my faves are the White Album and Sgt. Peppers.

The White album- cuz it just flat out rocks, it's the beginning of the John Paul and George doing solo stuff and using eachother as backup rather than acting as a whole unit... but they did it so well.

And Sgt. Peppers.... oh sweet sweet sweet sgt peppers... and yeah it's really popular right now to say 'sgt peppers the greatest album of all time... pshaw overrated...'... but it's the music! that sweet sweet symphony that Paul crafted... it's a feat that has yet to be recreated, (well...polyphonic spree.... but lacks that beatle-ness) I mean just take 'When I'm 64' it appears to be a simple little ditty at first... but you need to grab the vinyl, set up your speakers all around you (a little bit of 'Paul's herbal supplement' is entirely optional but....) and crank that track... the woodwinds, the bells, that awesomeawesomeawesome recording, Paul's voice!

Well, that probably shoulda been a different thread... but it is late and I am tired.

abbey road is pretty good, it's a great collection of songs... but that's what it is... a great collection of songs, it's like they don't 'belong' together at times... Basically what I'm saying is while it has great songs, it's just not much of an album... Let It Be has the same feeling... it's like I can hear all the stress and 'bad vibes' that were runnin' round the studio during recording.

I agree, I feel that way about side one of the album... the songs just don't belong together; there's no connection. Side two flows much more evenly... but side one has all the 'hits'. Still, I much prefer side two.

• 1 month later...

I distinctly remember sitting in the back seat of my friends 1968 Camaro (it was 1975). We were heading to The Stone Pony in Asbury Park. I had my head laid back between the roaring Jensen speakers as I Want You (She's So Heavy) played....ahhh 17 again for just a moment.

I've to think of this post every time I listen to the song. To be born thirty, forty years earlier...

I've to think of this post every time I listen to the song. To be born thirty, forty years earlier...

I remember I bought my copy on the last day of November 69. I went to the record store after school and came out with my brand new shiny LP in my hands... I walked some two blocks and went to see my mother and my new born baby brother to the hospital. I was a teenager who had just received two of her most precious gifts ever... :cool: :cool:

I'm glad it painted a picture of how great that era of music was and the pure joy I had in listening to it. I only hope that you can take the time to enjoy your favorite music now and know it will stay with you forever.

Edna, and all.

I believe I remember George Martin describing "Abbey Road" as follows. ( This is from memory, and a long time ago so if I'm wrong please speak up) Martin described the connected side as being recorded that way mainly to suit Paul. The other side was contributions from the other 3 individually.

Jim

• 2 months later...

There was no stress during Abbey Road... Haven't you seen the Beatles Anthology??? That's the great thing about Abbey Road... They got together to make this record simply for the music, leaving all their problems behind...

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...