But the music remains

Hurtling through the cosmos

Until it intercepts a passing individual

Lucky enough not to live here

Lucky enough to know us

Only by our music

So keep droning, world

It’s all we have

I almost never answer post in this forum, because I know absolutely zero about poetry, but this one reminded me of this picture

280689085_4235fc8484.jpg

and the quote

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin)

:thumbsup:

Although we all know hopelessness and that feeling of being on the losing end of the fishing pole, occasionally we hear something that counters that bleak scenario. I didn't catch the name of the song, but over the weekend I heard the ironically plaintive voice of a young lady who sang the refrain, "In the end, only kindness matters."

I liked that challenge.

I didn't really get Farin and Jenny's connotations of "lemming-like" behaviour, or following / stepping out from the the crowd. Those didn't really occur to me at all.

I interpreted "the drone" in a figurative sense, as "the music of everyday life"; the sounds we make, wherever we are and whatever our social / political circumstances, which distinguish us as a species. But also, thinking more literally; the music that we make, have made and will continue to make throughout our earthbound history is the one constant that transcends all geographical, historical and political boundaries. Were all our music- in all its diverse forms- to be played simultaneously, with all other extraneous noise excluded, the result would be an extreme form of what I believe scientists refer to as "white noise". This would likely be an unlistenable cacophany, but, when heard from outer space, would present as a "drone".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...