Category Update

Carl

We've had a lot of requests to make our categories (songs writen by Bob Dylan, songs with food in the title, etc.) available in a central location. Since these links are generated by queries - the database looks to see what other songs are tagged the same way - this wasn't so easy. We called in the developers and they are going to rebuild the engine so we can get these links to behave. My thought is to create a page with a bunch of sections like "Title Quirks," "Songwriter" and "About," then put links to any appropriate categories under each one. If you guys have suggestions for how we should implement this, please post.

I like this idea :)

and there are already quite a few cool categories, it would be a waste to not use them more :)

"Title Quirks" and "Songwriters" is clear and I guess "About" should be any additional information?

like "songs that fueled rumors that Paul McCartney was dead"

or "songs that became hits when they were re-released "?

maybe there should be a distinction of facts (re-release) and the interpretations of the songs (RIP Paul)?

also should there be a section for bands/artists? I don't think that's really necessary, because we already have the search function for bands, but it would be a possibility

:thumbsup:

Speaking of Songfacts Categories, you know how there's categories of, "Songs That Won Grammies", and "Songs That Won Oscars"? I believe that there should also be categories of, "Songs That were Grammy Nominees", and "Songs That Were Oscar Nominees". That would make a lot of sense, since not only were there songs that won Grammies and songs that won Oscars, but there were also songs that received nominations for those awards as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've had a lot of requests to make our categories (songs writen by Bob Dylan, songs with food in the title, etc.) available in a central location. Since these links are generated by queries - the database looks to see what other songs are tagged the same way - this wasn't so easy. We called in the developers and they are going to rebuild the engine so we can get these links to behave. My thought is to create a page with a bunch of sections like "Title Quirks," "Songwriter" and "About," then put links to any appropriate categories under each one. If you guys have suggestions for how we should implement this, please post.

I have a suggestion for the groups of categories. how about this. "Title Querks", "Featuring", "Songwriter", "About", "Used In", "Written For", "Inspired By". Also, do you know of an approximate date when this will be applicable? I've been checking the songfacts home page periodically, and the "Browse By Category" feature is still not there.

• 1 month later...

Do you know of an approximate date when the "Browse By Category" feature will be applicable? I've been checking the songfacts home page periodically, and the "Browse By

Category" feature is still not there. I know you said that the developers are behind on this. When do you suppose this feature will be available? The only ones I've seen so far are, "Browse By Song Title", "Browse By Year", and "Browse By Artist". Also, on the links labeled "#", my screenreader sees them as an unnamed link. Would it be a possibility to name these links something like, "#0-9"? This refers to links with song titles or artists whose names start with a number from 0 to 9. This would be easier for screenreaders to recognize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK. Category code is up. I know this might not look all that impressive, but it's a nice bit of coding that cleaned up a lot of loose ends. Check it out:

http://www.songfacts.com/categories.php

Please offer suggestions as to how this page should look and how we can present this throughout the site. I was mostly concerned about the back end and figured we'd do the design later.

:cool:

looks good to me too (but I'm not big on design anyway - I'll always let the other guys worry about that ;) )

about the presentation, I think a link with "Browse by Category" on the menu, or on the homepage under the "browse by song title" and "browse by artist" would be enough :)

one thing I noticed: the type "performed by" doesn't have a single category that's called "performed by"

how about calling it something like "Special Performances"?

On the "written by" category, should all the people included in that? For example (probably because they're the ones I looked for automatically) I noticed that Roger Clyne, Henry Paul, and Larry Burnett are not on that list, but I know that they have been categorized in "written by," because I did that myself.