Songfacts at Wikipedia

Lucky

This might be old news, but...

While researching song years for the Top Ten at wiki I stumbled across our own Wikipedia Page. I felt like a big dummy, thinking I should have known this. It explains things very nicely, and makes us sound awfully good! In case you haven't seen it, look here... Songfacts @ Wiki

Do we know who wrote this? :bow:

oh yes, we were also listed as a source for some of wiki's facts... :)

Edited by Guest

Yeah, Wikipedia is the best and worst. I love the site, but it's like Wal-Mart.

We work really hard to get great song information, which they then take and put on their site. We currently show up 492 times in Wikipedia, and that's just for the stuff they credited us for - there's a ton of stuff they copied word for word with no reference (check out "These Dreams"). Every content website lives in fear of Wikipedia, because they show up highest for just about every search term, which puts us out of business. It's really scary.

So, what's Songfacts to do?

1) More interviews. Wikipedia can't do original research, so everything that goes up there is supposed to be published somewhere else first. This doesn't always happen, but they certainly can't interview songwriters.

2) A human element. At Songfacts, you can comment on the songs, get the lyrics, and come to these fine message boards to interact with other humans.

3) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and clearly there are a lot of poeple dropping in our links, which does drive a lot of traffic. It has to be appropriate and follow their formatting and writing style, but we're a very legitimate and relevant source.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Wikipedia, but they are growing like crazy and will most likely succeed in assembling all the world's information or collapsing under their own weight. I just hope there's room for us in the picture, and I think there is.

;)

3) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and clearly there are a lot of poeple dropping in our links, which does drive a lot of traffic. It has to be appropriate and follow their formatting and writing style, but we're a very legitimate and relevant source.

I do that too, when I come across facts that fit :thumbsup:

We currently show up 492 times in Wikipedia, and that's just for the stuff they credited us for - there's a ton of stuff they copied word for word with no reference (check out "These Dreams").

I've just fixed that one. If you can find any others, I'll be happy to help with the referencing. I don't want to see any uncredited information from us on Wikipedia, and neither does Wikipedia for that matter.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...