The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #90

Lucky

I really don't think it matters on "who" nominates a song in order for it to make it on the list....I think sometimes a song that has been nominated might of been up against alot of other good songs during that round....therefore the next time a song gets renominated it could have a chance dependending on the others....and maybe it will make it, maybe it won't.....That's my opinion on that matter....

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never think about the "who" of the matter. By the time it gets to the voting list of nominations, I've forgotten that. I know that many times I've nominated something, only to get very little response. The next time it comes around, it may make the Ten, with lots of hoops and hollers.... At that point I just take a small bit of satisfaction, and think to myself "told you so". :)

Maybe if you all try to listen to music with an objective viewpoint ...

If you had really bother to listen (objectively), it might not have ended up this way.

Oh yeah! How tangible!!

But whatever. Who cares what I think?

Objectively, nobody. What you think is subjective.

From my very subjective viewpoint these lists are getting suckier and suckier. Oh yeah, there are about five or six good songs on the list...but great songs constantly go overlooked.

Subjectively, that's only because we're close to exhausting the cream of 'Classic Rock' hits that nearly everybody is familiar with.

Top Ten lists (ours or any others) have always been based on general popularity (or popularity as a function of sales).

Music isn't acquired in the same way today as in was in the 60s/70s. There's no way somebody born in the 80s is going to pay any more attention listening to great 35 year old album cuts than we give the most recent sensations. A lot of it has to do with "being there".

Subjectively, that's only because we're close to exhausting the cream of 'Classic Rock' hits that nearly everybody is familiar with.

Top Ten lists (ours or any others) have always been based on general popularity (or popularity as a function of sales).

Music isn't acquired in the same way today as in was in the 60s/70s. There's no way somebody born in the 80s is going to pay any more attention listening to great 35 year old album cuts than we give the most recent sensations. A lot of it has to do with "being there".

bazooka, I was very close to stating this earlier. Not that there aren't thousands of great songs out there, and many that the majority of us will agree on. But, you're right. We've gone through the top notch songs (or the biggest part of them) from most of the major artists, and many of the minor ones. Now it's a matter of finding those individual songs that may be at the next level, that absolutely click with enough people. Still interesting, but a little tougher.

90 top tens, that's 900 songs... quite a lot. I never doubted that there were more than 900 great songs, but I still find it quite amazing that we still manage to find ten songs every week that a lot of people like, and a lot of them aren't even minor hits.

Not sure what I want to say with this post, but maybe you'll get me. :P

I get you exactly Fintan. When you think about it it's easy to agree on a lot of the songs that are in that 900. You aren't going to find that we've missed many songs on any Top 500's or 100's. But we're still managing to agree on a lot. I wasn't going anywhere either with this, it's just an observation. ;)

bazooka, I was very close to stating this earlier. Not that there aren't thousands of great songs out there, and many that the majority of us will agree on. But, you're right. We've gone through the top notch songs (or the biggest part of them) from most of the major artists, and many of the minor ones. Now it's a matter of finding those individual songs that may be at the next level, that absolutely click with enough people. Still interesting, but a little tougher.

I say we've barely scratched the surface, especially if you eliminate Presley, Beatles, Stones and Who (I refuse to consider them when voting) and go back to rock's roots in the 50's, classic rock and rock from the 80's to now. I alone can nominate hundreds of songs. I can also consider the songs' impact on rock and roll, radio, record/CD sales and on society as a whole. From the 50's to the present. Hell, we haven't even filtered out Pop, Country, Jazz, etc.

The lists are fun but yecccch.

Sugar Sugar? Yeah, it's bubblegum but I always liked it and voted for it every time.

I try to listen to every nominated song that I've not previously heard. Occasionally I'm won over. Often not.

I agree with Joe. I find the lists a little bit homogenized with some of the artists that always show up on the lists. This last time out, I broke my own rule and nominated The Beatles and Bob Dylan, and I might be the first person in Ten history not to get a Beatles song in. I didn't take it personally, however. And I'm happy Buckets of Rain made it in because it is a great song.

When I vote, I vote for songs, not artists. I like Steely Dan, but I don't like Kid Charlemagne

{no offense Laurie}, so I didn't vote for it, and that is my choice. A few Tens ago I voted forThe Autumn Stone . I'd never heard it before, and the song opened me up to The Small Faces, and that to me is the point of The Ten-discovering new songs or artists.

This is all for fun. I had trouble with the Ten in the past, but I got over it. We aren't trying to change the world. We aren't trying to say people suck for voting or not voting for particular songs or artists. We are just having fun. No one is forced to participate, and even if some one has a problem with the Ten, they can come back and be welcomed. Just have fun. There's always renominations.

I try to listen to every nominated song that I've not previously heard. Occasionally I'm won over. Often not.

My point exactly.

It's the 'common denominators' (I won't say 'lowest') that get the votes.

I know full well that when I nominate a song by Lavern Baker, Clyde McPhatter, or Freddie King, it has the proverbial snowball's chance. But, perhaps due to some special alignment of the planets, we have experienced just a few 'miracle' ascensions into the Tens.

I also wanted to say that I think we all do pretty well at nominations. Most of us step out of our comfort zones-Laurie doesn't alway nominate Badfinger :jester: ; I don't always nominate Ryan Adams. When I came up with my list I tried to think of just good songs, and my list has everything from Brenda Lee to The White Stripes. I would love to see a Ryan song make the list, but I know most people won't vote for him. And that's ok.

Not every one has the same taste in music and we are all respectful of each other. No one ever comes right out and says they despise some one else's nominations. If I really like some one's nomination, I'll say so, as in this last time, I was very happy with Lucky's Linda Ronstadt nomination. The only time I would ever speak out against a nomination would be if some one nominated Convoy. :beady:

I'm also happy Stand made the Ten. It is not a profound song, but, like's Joe's example of Sugar Sugar, a song can be silly and still be great.

REM's Stand? Perhaps I'm jaundiced by the inane video that came out with this song, but....IMO this song belongs on Sesame Street for the kiddies. PAP!

I'll have you know I spent many an early teen hour trying to master that dance!

Oh, yes, Shannon, I wanted to cngratulate you for nominating "This Boy". Next time try with "Yes it is" or even "Revolution #9" :laughing:

))))))))))shannon((((((((((((((((( :bow: :)

I will go on nominationg and voting and so. I try to listen to each and every song I don t know and I say "try" because sometimes, audioclips won´t work for me.

I still want to nominate my fave songs, even if they are hits only for me and for the band and their families... I will renominate a lot because some great songs have failed to make it but I´m sure they still stand a chance.

Hey, it´s game... we´ve had 90 Tops, we head for the Platinum one...

:) :)

Darryl, look what you raised!! :laughing: :laughing: The best Songfacts Game!! :bow:

Yay!! :bow: I am so lucky to be one of such a group of people!

I never meant that we've chosen all the great songs, just the major hits, the obvious choices that would appear on anyone's Top 100, or 500 lists. There are literally thousands of great songs, and now is when it gets interesting, having eliminated those obvious ones.

Like Joe, and many others, I eliminate the obvious choices in artist, when thinking of my nominations. Not to say I won't vote for them, I do, but I don't nominate them. But my favorite thing to do is check the archives and Every Song list, and find an obviously glaring omission, in song. I have a pretty good run going, making the list 10+ times over the past 15 weeks or so. No brag, just fact. Not once have I nominated a Beatles song, and just once, a Stones. Like others, I vote (and nominate) songs, not artists, and have been rewarded by finding a lot of my fellow SF's liking the same songs as I.

I mentioned Sugar Sugar earlier, and now y'all have mentioned it a few times here. Maybe somebody needs to renominate it? To me it's the VERY best example of Bubblegum out there! I promise it would make my top 5! :)

Time to end the drama and leave discussion behind, and move on. Just 10 weeks to go until we reach our 100th Top Ten! :thumbsup:

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #90 for the week ending 25th November 2007

1. Stand - R.E.M. (1989)

2. Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles (1964)

3. You've Got A Friend - James Taylor (1971)

4. Creep – Radiohead (1992)

5. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies (1993)

6. Sex And Candy - Marcy Playground (1997)

7. Wild Night - Van Morrison (1971)

8. Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1985)

9. Buckets Of Rain - Bob Dylan (1975)

10. Come And Get Your Love – Redbone (1974)

Come on over to Top Ten #91! :)