The One-Hit Ten

Levis

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been enjoying researching this subject and come up with a really long short-list of great songs from which to choose. Trouble is, quite a few of these are songs I've previously nominated for the "Real Tens" and they generally bombed. "One Hit Wonder" in the UK often translates to "no hits at all and totally unknown elsewhere in the world". :P

Another problem is, some of the songs nominated so far might be great, but to me, they aren't "One Hit Wonders". eg. David Soul had FIVE big hits in the UK, including two #1s ("Don't Give Up On Us" & "Silver Lady") and a #2 ("Going In With My Eyes Open"). So, much as I like the nomination, my almost anal instinct for order would prevent me from voting for it. :( :blush:

Also The Waitresses: they are more of a "no-hit wonder" over here, even though their minor hit (#45) "Christmas Wrapping" is familiar to all as part of the shopping centre soundtrack to every festive season.

Another problem is, some of the songs nominated so far might be great, but to me, they aren't "One Hit Wonders". eg. David Soul had FIVE big hits in the UK, including two #1s ("Don't Give Up On Us" & "Silver Lady") and a #2 ("Going In With My Eyes Open"). So, much as I like the nomination, my almost anal instinct for order would prevent me from voting for it.

I have to agree, that's an unfortunate, but inevitable side effect...

and I don't think it would be a good idea to allow only songs that were one hit wonders in BOTH the US AND the UK (AND Australia?)

but since David Soul only had one Top 40 hit in the US it is still eligible, same goes for other examples as well... (Carl Douglas had some other hits in the UK)

Edited by Guest
made even less sense

but since David Soul only had one Top 40 hit in the US it is still eligible, same goes for other examples as well... (Carl Douglas had some other hits in the UK)

I wasn't suggesting that it should be ineligible, only explaining why I have a mental block in considering him as a "one hit wonder".

I have his "Playing To An Audience Of One" album: it's seldom off my turntable. :)

^ yes, I know that you didn't suggest that, I just wanted to give an example :);)

I think we need some links to Chart Reference Sites to make it simpler. Could that be arranged please Radhi ?

:)

sadly these sites are very hard to come by (most only go with "charts of the year"), but if you find one please let us know :thumbsup:

in case of doubt I'd suggest referring to wikipedia :)

I did that and came up with a fantastic list of songs featuring in my own music collection, including:

"Lovin' You" - Minnie Riperton

"Fire!" - The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

"O Superman" - Laurie Anderson

"Back Of My Hand" - The Jags

"Jilted John" - Jilted John

"Is Vic There?" - "Department S

"Ring My Bell" - Anita Ward

"Aint No Stoppin' Us Now" - McFadden & Whitehead

"Born To Be Alive" - Patrick Hernandez

"The Lone Ranger" - Quantum Jump

"Substitute" - Clout

"Uptown Top Ranking" - Althia & Donna

"Da Da Da" - Trio

"Ever So Lonely" - Monsoon

"Funky Town" - Lipps Inc.

"Let's Do Rocksteady" - The Bodysnatchers

"Pump Up The Volume" - MARRS

"Since Yesterday" - Strawberry Switchblade

"Summer Fun" - The Barracudas

"Falling" - Julee Cruise

"Hippy Chick" - Soho

"On A Rope" - Rocket From The Crypt

and so on...

As I said, quite alot of these are songs I've previously nominated in the SF Top 10, only to find I was apparently the only person in the world that knew them.

Trawling through the lists of US one hit wonders, year-by-year, to cross-check was rather laborious and frankly, I lost patience with it...

Trawling through the lists of US one hit wonders, year-by-year, to cross-check was rather laborious and frankly, I lost patience with it...

but that's not necessary at all :)

IF the song was a One Hit Wonder (or better: sung/performed by a One Hit Wonder) in the UK, then that's enough to be admitted to our Special Ten :)

it doesn't matter if the song charted in the US, or anywhere else, or if the band had 20 other hits anywhere else

(same goes for the other way of course ;) )

Well, I know what you mean, but we're talking about some fairly obscure tracks here, in some cases. Just for once I'd like to nominate stuff that is known to more people than just me.

What I was referring to was going through the US lists trying to find artists who were one-hit wonders in the States, but who might not occur to me as being "one-hit wonders" due to being very successful at home. eg. Madness, for one. That way, I might be able to nominate something that would be "in with a chance". Let's face it, nobody's going to vote for Strawberry Switchblade, are they, however delightful their song may be?

^ yes, I know that you didn't suggest that, I just wanted to give an example :);)

sadly these sites are very hard to come by (most only go with "charts of the year"), but if you find one please let us know :thumbsup:

I found this site yesterday. It has songs from the 50's to 2000. I'm not sure about whether they were hits in the UK or not I think it's just the US. It does make a good starting point tho.

I didn't really have time to check out the site yesterday, but it looks interesting. There's not hundreds of songs I don't think, but it did have several on the two years I looked into.

Hope it helps.

One Hit Wonders

I found this site yesterday. It has songs from the 50's to 2000. I'm not sure about whether they were hits in the UK or not I think it's just the US. It does make a good starting point tho.

I didn't really have time to check out the site yesterday, but it looks interesting. There's not hundreds of songs I don't think, but it did have several on the two years I looked into.

Hope it helps.

One Hit Wonders

I was going to recommend that site...It's very good and breaks up one hit wonders by the decade.

I'm beginning to think choosing songs for a one hit wonder list is going to be a lot harder then just the top ten. They have all hit number one before so that means at some point in time they were very well liked.

Most of the songs that have been posted I have heard of and probably bought the record when it came out. This could be interesting :grin: