TV on DVD

Otokichi

Do these lyrics bring back memories?

"Baby, if you’ve ever wondered,

Wondered whatever became of me,

I’m living on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati, WKRP.

Got kind of tired packing and unpacking,

Town to town and up and down the dial

Maybe you and me were never meant to be,

But baby think of me once in awhile.

I’m at WKRP in Cincinnati."

In spite of the generic Rock music in the DVD soundtrack, I found this late-1970's first season set enjoyable. An early standout is the infamous "Turkeys Away" episode, which features Richard Sanders' visual description of a Thanksgiving Turkey drop. (Arthur Carlson: "As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly!")

Another addition to the collection is "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries" (Seasons 1-3) that ran on PBS' "Mystery!" series until recently.

A early "TV on DVD" disappointment set from a video AND audio standpoint was "Northern Exposure" (The Complete? First Season), which was edited for maximum commercial time with a generic music track.

I see that "Picket Fences" is also out on DVD, and the "sexy doctors" first season of "St. Elsewhere." So what would you like to find in your Christmas stocking this year? :jester:

Alcoa Presents (very similar to Twilight Zone), St. Elsewhere, V and Barney Miller off the top of my head.

Also a great little "made for TV" movie called "Griffin and Phoenix" (1976) starring Peter Falk and Jill Clayburgh. Don't be taken in by a weak 2006 remake. Get me the original, thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I only found out recently that the original music isn't included on the Northern Exposure DVD's. It's such a shame. The music is so integral to that show. I've watched some of my favourite scenes on Youtube with the original music and there's a huge difference in atmosphere. So disappointing.