Good rap & hiphop...

lonelyday

Heya, this was brought on by another thread(you can probably guess which one) where rap music kept being argued. Now I don't wanna start some mile long argument about this again but rather ask the question:

What are some good rap and hiphop songs and artists?

It's not that i don't think that rap and hiphop can be good, because i know that they can be, but that my own knowledge of these genres(which i've put together because they tend to have a lot of crossover) really only extends to what is mainstream and what is local.

So hopefully some of you can help me with this :) and who knows, maybe some people who have been more guarded about these types of music in the past will have a listen and find something they like as well :)

well, I don't know what your tastes are, but here are a couple of favourites:

Rebirth of Slick (Cool like Dat) - Digable Planets We be to Rap what Key be to Lock ;)

The Seed 2.0 ~ The Roots (was just in our recent Top Ten :) )

Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey) ~ De La Soul (best answering machine message ever ;) )

and if you don't mind something other than English:

Serenata Rap ~ Jvanotti

Nordisch by Nature ~ Fettes Brot

I don't want to make too large posts here, so more to come later :)

Listening to any cross section of Rap / Hip Hop requires a doubled tolerance to some offensive or hateful language and distasteful subject matter.

It is territory full of mixed messages, from the thoughtful and substantial to the sensational, unprincipled and sadistic.

I can't necessarily endorse all of the work by any of these artists. These are just individual numbers that I found noteworthy.

If you don’t want to hear the N word or the F word, none of this is worth your time.

Aesop Rock - a rapper who speaks in metaphors, so it's hard to understand the point he's making, but great lyrics and beats anyhow.

None Shall Pass

Daylight

MF DOOM - a very elusive rapper who mysteriously hides behind a metal mask, and makes great stoned rhymes. very out there, be prepared for some weirdness. also, he works with great producers, like madlib and danger mouse.

Meat Grinder (madvillain)

America's Most Blunted (madvillain)

El Chupa Nibre (dangerdoom)

Del tha Funkee Homosapien - he used to be a stereotypical 90's rapper, but then became a stoner/alternative rap legend! he's worked with the gorillaz, deltron 3030, and had solo albums. in his lyrics, the rhymes are generally more important than the meaning, since it's mostly about life in outer space.

Positive Contact (deltron 3030)

Mastermind (deltron 3030)

Clint Eastwood (gorillaz)

Mistadabolina

A Tribe Called Quest - this group gets a lot of people into rap, because they generally have positive messages, great lyrics, great rapping, and great jazzy beats. definitely one of hte best groups of all time.

Jazz (We Got)

Butter

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...