Songfactor's Choice: Christmas Fantasy Wish List

Lucky

and here's the official SongFacts suggestions for the best presents...

The Songfactor's Choice: CHRISTMAS FANTASY WISH LIST ! ! ! !

[big]Help! [/big](2 DVD set)

[big]Motown Greatest Hits[/big] (Various Artists)

[big]Bob Dylan: The Bootleg Series [/big]Vols. 1-3: Rare And Unreleased, 1961-1991

[big]Martin Scorsese presents The Blues: A Musical Journey[/big] (Box Set)

[big]Eric Clapton: "Clapton - The Autobiography"[/big]

Thanks to everyone who participated! :) :thumbsup:

:headphones:

Edited by Guest
thanks edna :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going to try to recap these amazing gift ideas, both to give or recieve. I think that any one of these items would make most of us happy, taken as a whole, that list truly is a Fantasy! :)

Ryansgirl gave us the best idea of all. Topping the list as the most desired Fantasy gift is:

I really want this~

514aseOwQhL__SS400_.jpg

Help!

and there is an even deluxier edition, for a mere $89.99

Deluxier Edition

Of course we all know the great classic Beatles film "Help!", and the classic 1965 song that provided title track. Just to jog your memory, or in the case you have spent your life under a rock look here... HELP!

This new edition is most especially perfect for the true Beatles fan, the person who desires a comlpete spectrum of one of the most popular Beatles productions ever made. I personally would truly want this for the book that comes with it, as much as the DVDs!

A description from Amazon:

This ... is great. Coffee table size slipcase (not the DVD size we all know), the entire HELP! script, full-color poster, theatre mini-posters, great full-color 60-page book with great photos, bonus DVD and great sound. For any Beatle fan this is a rockn' holiday gift! After all folks, this is the greatest rock band in history. Period (based on record sales).

51dl1F34w6L._SS400_.jpg

There's no denying this sounds like a present I'd love to find under my tree! :) :thumbsup: :bow:

Number two on our Christmas Fantasy List is our very lovely, and very classic edna's nomination.

Motown Greatest Hits

Various Artists

614162826884qr5.jpg

I know, I´m so predictable and so classic... :cool:

Nothing new. Just some sixty and something Motown hits.

Some better known than others. I just like to listen to this kind of mix. Few things to say about it... the old Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha & the Vandellas, Mary Wells... Motown salad.

Here´s the link to Amazon.

Nothing new, she says, "just a Motown salad"! But oh what a salad. Songs like Reach Out (I'll Be There) by The Temptations and 1966's Stop! In The Name Of Love released by Diana Ross & The Supremes

This set encompasses all of Motown's Greats, from the early days of Junior Walker & The All Stars, and Mary Wells, through to The Jackson 5, Lionel Ritchie, and The Commodores, along with the whole gamut in between! :)

You know the songs, but even more you love the songs! Who wouldn't want to get all these great songs together in one set for Christmas?

Probably one of my favorite cuts form any of these albums? My Cherie Amour

My true wish is that everyone will follow my lead . . .

On the "first" day of Christmas, Lucky, gave to me a:

Cd of my particular fantasy . . .

"Second" day?

I'll move you up on my list, Muzik! Right after Tim, that is... :)

"On the second day of Christmas, Elvy gave to me, Martin Scorsese" ;)

ryansgirl must have awfully good instincts for great music. She also gave us our third choice for a Fantasy Christmas wish.

BOB DYLAN: The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3 : Rare And Unreleased, 1961-1991

51oJB3Fx5vL._SS500_.jpg

This Box Set is probably just as amazing as any other I could ever think of, and something I personally would love to get my hands on. I love Bob Dylan. But honestly I don't know nearly enough about his music, most especially the very early, and then the more recent years. This 3 Disc set, like the title says, is entirely live and unreleased music, some of it outtakes, but the best, apparently, are songs that you've never heard, and alternate, live takes of some the songs you love.

It's often said that Bob Dylan is the Poet Laureate of a generation. Much of this content is the poet in Dylan at work, improvising, reworking, and reinventing some of his best work, live on stage. Not knowing enough about this set to say enough (that's how much I admire this work), I checked the customer reviews at Amazon . Out of 73 reviews, 62 were 5 star. That in itself says something.

51ZA6W3MNML._AA240_.jpg

They say that Bob Dylan cannot be truly appreciated unless seen and heard live. I found this Youtube clip of a live performance in Newcastle, a song which appears on the second disc of this set, and is one of my all time favorites....

Like A Rolling Stone

Check out Songfacts Artistfacts for facts and comments on Bob Dylan and his music here .

Pick #4 was submitted by... me. Yeah, yeah, I have great taste, I know. More than that however, I have the desire to hear and learn a bit more than I do now, about Blues. Blues in all it's many forms. Martin Scorsese puts it all together into one nice package here.

MARTIN SCORSESE PRESENTS THE BLUES: A MUSICAL JOURNEY

2643374_marty_200.jpg

In the past 10 or 12 years I've developed a great love of Blues music. I guess after I realized that many of my first loves in Rock 'n' Roll were either deeply influenced by the blues, or were covers of old blues classics. I began searching out those old originals and artists, and discovered a new love! This comprehensive set traces it all, from the very early days of W.C. Handy, Robert Johnson and LeadBelly (among others), through blues/rock releases of the 60's and 70's, to modern day artists that are keeping the genre alive.

Here's what allmusic says about this great gift idea:

This five-disc, 116-track box set presents a sweeping history of the blues from its emergence in the early 1900s clear through to its various contemporary guises, and includes samples of country blues in all of its regional variations, as well as cuts from string bands, jug bands, jazz combos, gritty Chicago blues outfits, and a look at how rock artists like Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix incorporated the blues into their distinctive styles. Intelligently gathered and arranged, it treats the blues both from a historical perspective and from a working assumption that the form is still alive and well, continually morphing and transforming itself. There simply isn't a better or deeper survey of the blues on the market.

You can check out customer reviews, as well as samples of every song here at Amazon.com

My favorite pastime, along with music is reading (there's nothing better than good music playing, a good book, and a gray rainy day). What could be better than combining the two pleasures? Elvish has sugested the last but not least item in our Christmas Fantasy Wish List:

31Re2J9O+XL.jpg

Amazon:

With striking intimacy and candor, Eric Clapton tells the story of his eventful and inspiring life in this poignant and honest autobiography. More than a rock star, he is an icon, a living embodiment of the history of rock music. Well known for his reserve in a profession marked by self-promotion, flamboyance, and spin, he now chronicles, for the first time, his remarkable personal and professional journeys.

Born illegitimate in 1945 and raised by his grandparents, Eric never knew his father and, until the age of nine, believed his actual mother to be his sister. In his early teens his solace was the guitar, and his incredible talent would make him a cult hero in the clubs of Britain and inspire devoted fans to scrawl “Clapton is God†on the walls of London’s Underground. With the formation of Cream, the world's first supergroup, he became a worldwide superstar, but conflicting personalities tore the band apart within two years. His stints in Blind Faith, in Delaney and Bonnie and Friends, and in Derek and the Dominos were also short-lived but yielded some of the most enduring songs in history, including the classic “Layla.â€

Read what Songfacts has to say about Clapton Here

This is the autobiography of a man who made history with his music, played with some great figures in Rock, and music in general, and who is in a position to give us great insight into the music world, from the perspective of one of the most famous musicians of our era. A man that is respected by peers and fans alike. We all know much of his history with Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominos. I personally love the lesser known music that came out of the time he spent with his good friends.

A couple of early examples of Clapton, and friends:

Delaney and Bonnie & Friends Clapton loved the laid back style of respected songwriter/musicians Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett. Along with George Harrison, Dave Mason, Duane Allman, and a host of other "friends" some great music came out of this more relaxed period. These are the times I'd love to read about. The man, being the man, just himself.

Delaney & Bonnie with the future Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton, Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlook) plus George Harrison playing the classic song "Comin' Home" live

• 11 months later...