Songfactor's Choice: Christmas Fantasy Wish List

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE SONGFACTOR'S MUSIC OF CHOICE: Volume 2

* ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO PARTICIPATE * Please join us, and share your knowledge and your love of the thing that keeps SONGFACTS the community we all know and love. MUSIC ! The basic guidelines are simple....

* The Songfactor's Music of Choice will be decided by your nominations and votes. For each edition we'll ask that you nominate 1 OR 2 selections that meet the guidelines for that edition.

* With each nomination, we'll ask that you give us a review, a few thoughts or just a description of how your selection makes you feel. No one is being graded on their writing here. What we want is for you to share your knowledge and feelings about the music you love.

* Each edition will run 3 to 4 weeks. At the end of that time, we'll ask you to vote. You know how that works! These lists will number 5, so we'll ask that you compile your list of 5 choices for the final Songfactor's Music of Choice. We will tally them, just like The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten, 1 through 5. At the close of voting, we will have our Songfactor's Music of Choice.

* Be as creative with this as you'd like. We want to encourage an exchange of thoughts, so this will be a place to learn about and enjoy the nominations, as well as the final choices. The guidelines will change with each edition.

....So, Welcome To.....

The Songfactor's Choice: CHRISTMAS FANTASY WISH LIST ! ! ! !

***The Holiday Season is upon us. You are going to probably be putting a lot of thought, effort and maybe work into gifts that you'll be giving to friends and family. Songfacts is YOUR place. If you could put any two music related items on your list for Santa, what would they be? An album you've always wanted, but never quite gotten around to buying? Maybe a New Release that you've heard great things about. How about the Boxed Set that your favorite artist just released? Maybe there's a DVD, or a Book you've had your eye on, or even a Video Game, or Collectible of some sort. Check Amazon, surf the web, listen to the commercials on the radio. Remember when The Big Christmas Catalogues came out? The time you put into making your list? You know how to do this....you did it as a child, carefully thinking about your list for Santa.

So, come on Songfactor's, give us those fantasy wishes! If you could recieve any two items this Christmas, what would they be?? Put some thought into it, and be creative. What would you like to find under your tree this year?? ;)

PLEASE NOMINATE NOW! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this one will definitely be on MY wishlist :)

51maxrvh6wlss500kn4.jpg

Pearl Jam ~ Live at the Gorge 05/06

(released in June 2007)

since I, obviously, haven't listened to it yet I can't say too much about it from personal experience, but the reviews are really good :) (of course Pearl Jam live is great period :grin: )

The seven-disc Live at the Gorge 05/06 box set documents a trio of shows Pearl Jam performed at The Gorge Amphitheatre (repeatedly voted the best major outdoor concert venue in North America by the readers of Pollstar magazine) in George, WA, near the Columbia River. Each of the three shows, which clock in around two and a half hours apiece, is chock-full of fan favorites ("Alive," "Even Flow," "Jeremy," "Daughter," "Yellow Ledbetter"), including a number of covers (Victoria Williams' "Crazy Mary," Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down," Mother Love Bone's "Crown of Thorns," J. Frank Wilson's "Last Kiss," The Who's "Baba O'Riley," Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing," and Neil Young's "Fuckin' Up" and "Rockin' in the Free World"). The sets are varied, so much so that these three shows are distinct from one another, with only a handful of overlapping staples like "Corduroy," "Given to Fly," and "Yellow Ledbetter." The back-to-back shows from 2006 (July 22 and 23) are notable for their inclusion of songs from the album Pearl Jam (2006), though only a few per show. The shows compiled on Live at the Gorge 05/06 are typical for Pearl Jam in the sense that they're high-energy, wide-ranging in material, and long, with the band jamming out many songs to the seven- or eight-minute mark. As usual, vocalist Eddie Vedder is in full command of the crowd, engaging them often with between-song banter and infusing the performances with the charisma for which he's well-known. The abundance of live Pearl Jam albums released over the years makes Live at the Gorge 05/06 less than novel. Still, it's a great package of shows that fans will want to hear, especially anyone who missed Pearl Jam on their sold-out summer 2006 tour.

the amazon.com customer reviews are similar in style, with only one (of fifteen) mentioning the downpoint that there are already more than one Live albums ( ;) ) , but 1. PJ + Live = :rockon: and 2. I only own one complete live album, so that doesn't really bother me :grin:

read the customers reviews and listen to "some" samples on amazon.com

7 CDs, 3 concerts, 100(!) tracks, 8 hours(!) music - and have a look at the price while you're at it ;)

:rockon:

Motown Greatest Hits

Various Artists

614162826884qr5.jpg

I know, I´m so predictable and so classic... :cool:

Nothing new. Just some sixty and something Motown hits.

Some better known than others. I just like to listen to this kind of mix. Few things to say about it... the old Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Martha & the Vandellas, Mary Wells... Motown salad.

Here´s the link to Amazon.

And a delicious salad at that edna! I'd have to say, that one I also would love to have! :thumbsup:

For me, the very first thing that came to mind, is a set that I've wanted ever since it was first released in 2003:

MARTIN SCORSESE PRESENTS THE BLUES: A MUSICAL JOURNEY

2643374_marty_200.jpg

In the past 10 or 12 years I've developed a great love of Blues music. I guess after I realized that many of my first loves in Rock 'n' Roll were either deeply influenced by the blues, or were covers of old blues classics. I began searching out those old originals and artists, and discovered a new love! This comprehensive set including 5 discs, and 116 tracks traces it all, from the very early days of W.C. Handy, Robert Johnson and LeadBelly (among others), through blues/rock releases of the 60's and 70's, to modern day artists that are keeping the genre alive such as Susan Tedeschi (thanks to Elvy for my introduction to her) and Keb' Mo'. It's a Sampler, like a big box of chocolates. But after taking a bite, or sticking your thumb into one, you won't be tempted to put it back!! :)

This five-disc, 116-track box set presents a sweeping history of the blues from its emergence in the early 1900s clear through to its various contemporary guises, and includes samples of country blues in all of its regional variations, as well as cuts from string bands, jug bands, jazz combos, gritty Chicago blues outfits, and a look at how rock artists like Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix incorporated the blues into their distinctive styles. Intelligently gathered and arranged, it treats the blues both from a historical perspective and from a working assumption that the form is still alive and well, continually morphing and transforming itself. There simply isn't a better or deeper survey of the blues on the market.

As you can see from allmusic's quote, there is a bit of everything provided on these discs. I've heard bits and pieces, but never the whole thing in it's entirity! You can check out customer reviews, as well as samples of every song here at Amazon.com

Bob Dylan~The Bootleg Series, Vols. 1-3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961-1991

217TDX2RKBL__AA180_.jpg

Disc: 1

1. Hard Times in New York Town [Live]

2. He Was a Friend of Mine

3. Man on the Street

4. No More Auction Block [Live]

5. House Carpenter

6. Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

7. Let Me Die in My Footsteps

8. Ramblin' Gamblin' Willie

9. Talkin' Have Negeilah Blues

10. Quit Your Low Down Ways

11. Worried Blues

12. Kingsport Town

13. Walkin' Down the Line

14. Walls of Red Wing

15. Paths of Victory

16. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues [Live]

17. Who Killed Davey Moore?

18. Only a Hobo

19. Moonshiner

20. When the Ship Comes In

21. Times They Are A-Changin'

22. Last Thoughts on Woody Gutherie [Live]

Disc: 2

1. Seven Curses

2. Eternal Circle

3. Suze (The Cough Song)

4. Mama, You Been on My Mind

5. Farewell, Angelina

6. Subterranean Homesick Blues [Alternate Acoustic Version]

7. If You Gotta Go, Go Now

8. Sitting on a Barbed Wire Fence

9. Like a Rolling Stone

10. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry [Alternate Version]

11. I'll Keep It With Mine

12. She's Your Lover Now

13. I Shall Be Released

14. Santa-Fe

15. If Not for You [Alternate Version]

16. Wallflower

17. Nobody 'Cept You

18. Tangled Up in Blue

19. Call Letter Blues

20. Idiot Wind

Disc: 3

1. If You See Her, Say Hello

2. Golden Loom

3. Catfish

4. Seven Days [Live]

5. Ye Shall Be Changed

6. Every Grain of Sand

7. You Changed My Life

8. Need a Woman

9. Angelina

10. Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart

11. Tell Me

12. Lord Protect My Child

13. Foot of Pride

14. Blind Willie McTell

15. When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [Original Version]

16. Series of Dreams

what a clever trick of myself to get more infos out of you :grin: :grin:

In the summer of '05, Neil Young, having just survived a close call with a brain aneurysm, performed two concerts at Nashville's famed Ryman Auditorium. Documented here, the concerts premiered Young's most recent, and critically acclaimed release, Prairie Wind, followed by many classics from the gentler compartment of his massive, magnificent catalog. From the opening interview snippets to the final scene of Neil Young alone on stage, Jonathan Demme, as one would expect, has created a masterpiece, a film suitable to its subject. No two-second ADD camera work here, this wonderful film was shot with the same grace, intelligence and intimacy as the music Young and his friends--including Emmylou Harris!--perform. I saw this film four times while it was in town, and now I can't wait for the DVD release. Don't miss this (literally) glowing tribute to one of rock/blues/folk/country's genuine icons.

sounds actually very good :thumbsup:

I'm a child of the '80, so this is right up my alley. Lord knows I probably have all of these songs scattered around somewhere, but I like the idea of them being collected into one set.

80s.jpg

Like, Omigod! The '80s Pop Culture Box (Totally)

The Amazon.com review...

You want your '80s! Fer sure! This is the mother of all tributes to the era of skinny ties, Reaganomics, and Pac-Man! Seven CDs, 142 hit songs, from New Wave to Pop to R&B to Hip-Hop to Novelty, including an incredible 49 #1 tracks! Starring Queen, New Edition, Duran Duran, Richard Marx, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Men At Work, Toto, The Cure, Culture Club, Cyndi Lauper, Bryan Adams, Simple Minds, Bangles, New Kids On the Block...and many more. Plus a 90-page book with hundreds of historical photos, facts, and memories from the decade that wanted it all! Limited edition sculpted rubber cover!

I foamed at the mouth and slobbered like a rabid St. Bernard when I read the track listing of this box set.

stax.jpg

The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968

Amazon.com review

Oh the glory of the Stax/Volt sound! There was a raw exuberance that was never quite matched by Atlantic or Motown - and its no wonder that the Atlantic producers came down South to capture the magic. Whether it was Rufus Thomas, Booker T or the great Otis Redding - the sound on these labels was unparalleled in the history of recording. What underpinned the sound was the sheer love of music these guys had - their recording sessions were legendary for the fun, the late nights and the unbridled groove. Perhaps there was another dimension also: a self-awareness as Black R&B gained ascendency. A lot of these session guys were white, it didn’t matter - it was the SOUND - and in the changing times of the 60s this was the sound that has proved most enduring. It is the sound of freedom.