Imus gets his mic back!

Sweet Jane 61

As was widely rumored, Don Imus will make his return to radio with Citadel Broadcasting, hosting a morning talk show on the company's flagship station, WABC/New York. Imus will begin broadcasting on December 3 with his longtime newsman, Charles McCord, and other members of his morning team, and the show will be syndicated nationally by the ABC Radio Network. While exact details of Imus' contract were not disclosed, the New York Post says he signed a five-year deal with Citadel that pays him between $5 million and $8 million annually.

"We are ecstatic to bring Don Imus back to morning radio," said WABC President and GM Steve Borneman. "Don's unique brand of humor, knowledge of the issues and ability to attract big-name guests is unparalleled. He is rested, fired up and ready to do great radio... Having Don Imus join the WABC galaxy of stars is certainly an amazing addition to our station and for our company, but most importantly, the real winners are morning radio listeners everywhere."

Imus is replacing the popular Curtis & Kuby Show, and is also in talks for a separate television deal similar to the one he previously had with MSNBC, says the Post.

In early October, with rumors swirling about Imus' return, the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) urged Citadel not to hire the controversial broadcaster. In a statement, the organization asks why "any responsible broadcast company" would allow the Talk show host to "continue his history of racial insults?"

And on Thursday after the news broke, Rev. Al Sharpton issued a statement urging Imus' new employer to inform advertisers and others "how they intend to safeguard against Mr. Imus returning to his former vile and biased behavior."

by the way...WABC-AM New York was the greatest radio station of all time...at least in a TOP 40 sense...check out this website which contains details about how it used to be before talk radio took over:

http://www.musicradio77.com/

How about their Top 20 from this date in 1967:

TW LW

1. To Sir With Love - Lulu (Epic) *2 weeks #1* 1

2. Expressway to Your Heart - The Soul Survivors (Crimson) 2

*3. The Letter - The Box Tops (Mala) 5

4. It Must Be Him - Vikki Carr (Liberty) 7

5. Incense and Peppermints - The Strawberry Alarm Clock (Uni) 13

*6. Gimme Little Sign - Brenton Wood (Double Shot) 4

7. Never My Love - The Association (Warner Brothers) 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. How Can I Be Sure - The Young Rascals (Atlantic) 6

9. Soul Man - Sam & Dave (Stax) 8

10. The Rain, the Park and Other Things - The Cowsills (MGM) 12

11. Please Love Me Forever - Bobby Vinton (Epic) 21

12. People Are Strange - The Doors (Elektra) 9

13. Pata Pata - Miriam Makeba (Reprise) 11

14. A Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin (Atlantic) 14

-----------------------------------------------------------------

15. Keep the Ball Rolling - Jay & the Techniques (Smash) 26

16. Get On Up - The Esquires (Bunky) 15

17. Come Back When You Grow Up -

Bobby Vee & the Strangers (Liberty) 10

18. Watch the Flowers Grow - The 4 Seasons (Philips) 58

19. Beg, Borrow & Steal - The Ohio Express (Cameo) 19

20. Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (Tamla) 22

In the early to mid '70's I listened to Imus In The Morning on WABC where he did one of my favorite skits of his, The Right Reverend Billy Sol Hargis. I'd pay to hear him do that again.

IMO Imus was at one time a great satirist and a clever humorist. His mistake last year was stupid and regrettable. I mean, Jesus...he actually got people listening to Al Sharpton. Hmmm, I wonder if Imus has considered a Rev. Al Crapton bit?

Damn, I'd pay.....