The clean and comfortable Mighty Songfacts T-shirt goes to:
Sari from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Here are the answers:
- What Beatles song was used in commercials for Nike?
Many people born after 1980 don't know this.
- What famous singer became a United States congressman?
- Sonny Bono
After his music career, he became a congressman from California.
- What famous singer was born with the first name "Myra"?
- Tori Amos
Her birth name is Myra Ellen Amos.
- Where did The Allman Brothers, The Band and The Grateful Dead play in front of 600,000 people?
- Watkins Glen, NY
It was the "Summer Jam" on July 28, 1973.
- What was the first video played on MTV that contained nothing but scenes from a movie?
- "Maniac" by Michael Sembello.
It contained nothing but scenes from Flashdance. Only a few people got this right. Songs from movies like Pretty In Pink, Footloose and Top Gun got lots of guesses.
- What song is about a high school student who brought a gun to school and killed 2 people in 1979?
- "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats
Most people guessed "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.
- What famous singer named his first 3 solo albums after himself?
- Peter Gabriel
Barry Manilow named his first 2 after himself.
- What song contains the name of a Jamaican cooking pot in the title?
- "Pass The Dutchie" by Musical Youth
- What hit from 1996 is being used as the theme song to a popular TV show in the US?
- "One Of Us"
The Joan Osborne song is the theme to the TV show Joan Of Arcadia. "I'll Be There For You," which is the theme song from Friends, came out in 1995.
- Who was the first British artist to top the US charts?
- Vera Lynn
We didn't phrase this question well. When we wrote it, we were looking for Mr. Acker Bilk, a clarinet player who hit #1 with "Stranger On The Shore" in 1962 (we knew most people would guess The Beatles). We should have specified Billboard Pop Charts, which started in 1955. Before then, there were charts for radio play, sales and jukebox play, and in 1952 a British Singer named Vera Lynn hit #1 with "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart." We accepted Acker Bilk.
Thanks to everyone who took the quiz, and be sure to take the new one