We have a surprise for the winner of this month's quiz
I received the following announcement from Carl, who provides this very entertaining and knowledgeable quiz for you each month:
>["Dave Stewart has a new CD out, and his people gave us a copy to give away with the quiz, so I added it in as a prize. He's a pretty big songwriter and the disc has some pretty serious hits.
The CD is called "The Dave Stewart Songbook".]<
For those of you who may not know, Dave Stewart is a legendary artist, songwriter, producer, and ex-Eurythmics member.
On this album, he presents his biggest hits, set against the backdrop of a 30-piece orchestra.
It includes songs he wrote for Eurythmics, Mick Jagger, Bono, Tom Petty, No Doubt, Celine Dion, Jon Bon Jovi, and more.
Joseph from Morgantown, WV
is this month's quiz winner and will receive a cool and comfortable
SongFacts t-shirt and also the new CD by Dave Stewart, best known for his work in "Eurythmics".
Here are the answers
1. What famous group has included the following words into their lyrics: Phosphorescent, Superconductor, Panacea, Polarity, Gravitation, Necromancer.
The words above are respectively from their songs, "Cold Fire," "Superconductor," "The Fountain Of Lamneth," "Vital Signs," "Chain Lightning," "The Necromancer."
2. Among bands with at least one set of twins, which has sold the most albums worldwide?
Trio of brothers from Manchester, England.
Barry and twins Maurice and Robin.
3. What singer who had a U.S. Top-40 hit in the '90s is married to the lead singer of a popular '80s group?
He's married to Aimee Mann from Til Tuesday.
4. What four-word phrase appears in the lyrics to two Beatles' songs, and is not part of either song's title?
"See How They Run"
is in "I Am The Walrus" and "Lady Madonna."
"So Hard To Find"
is in "Things We Said Today" and "You Won't See Me."
"Come On, Come On"
is in "Please, Please Me" and "Twist And Shout."
"To Make Ends Meet"
is in "Lady Madonna" and "Glass Onion."
"I'll Always Be True"
is in "Love Me Do" and "All My Loving."
5. What 2008 song has a video featuring various people who were made famous on YouTube?
"Pork and Beans"
6. What band's biggest hits came with a lineup of three women plus a male drummer?
7. What popular singer won a Tony award in the '00s?
He won for orchestration of his Broadway musical "Movin' Out" in 2003.
He won "Best Original Score" for "Aida" in 2000.
8. What singer recorded a famous album when he went to South Africa in the '80s?
9. What popular band of the '70s and '80s had a platypus for a mascot?
Little River Band
10. What band played at the original Woodstock but would not allow their performance to be used on either the soundtrack or the movie?
A few of the most well-known groups are:
Creedence Clearwater Revival
(although four of their songs do appear on the 25th Anniversary Box Set).
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Most wouldn't allow it because they thought their performance was not up to par and some because the recording was not satisfactory to them.
Congratulations to Joseph and thanks to all who entered this month's quiz.
Be sure to head on over to SongFacts main page to enter the new quiz for October.