Los Angeles: New York: London: Melbourne:
Username Post: Who Was Diamond's "Sweet Caroline"?        (Topic#143643)
RonJonSurfer
Rainbow Surfperch
11-20-07 05:02 PM - Post#413504    

Diamond reveals `Caroline' inspiration

Neil Diamond held onto the secret for decades, but he has finally revealed that President Kennedy's daughter was the inspiration for his smash hit "Sweet Caroline."

"I've never discussed it with anybody before — intentionally," the 66-year-old singer-songwriter told The Associated Press on Monday during a break from recording. "I thought maybe I would tell it to Caroline when I met her someday."

He got his chance last week when he performed the song via satellite at Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's 50th birthday party.

Diamond was a "young, broke songwriter" when a photo of the president's daughter in a news magazine caught his eye.

"It was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony," Diamond recalled. "It was such an innocent, wonderful picture, I immediately felt there was a song in there."

Years later, holed up in a hotel in Memphis, he would write the words and music in less an hour.

"It was a No. 1 record and probably is the biggest, most important song of my career, and I have to thank her for the inspiration," he said. "I'm happy to have gotten it off my chest and to have expressed it to Caroline. I thought she might be embarrassed, but she seemed to be struck by it and really, really happy."

The enduring hit recently reappeared on the singles chart, thanks in part to the Boston Red Sox. "Sweet Caroline" is played at every home game.

"I think they consider it good luck," Diamond said, adding that the Red Sox have become his favorite baseball team.

The tune's return to the charts leaves Diamond "speechless," he said: "That song was written 40 years ago, so I am just overwhelmed by the fact that it has returned and that, more importantly, people have taken it into their hearts for so many years."

Diamond is currently at work on a new album, his second collaboration with producer Rick Rubin.

"We're both very excited about it," Diamond said. "I think it's going to be one of my best ever."

___

On the Net:

http://www.neildiamond.com/
"Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world".

Sweet Jane 61
Oyster
11-20-07 05:32 PM - Post#413522    

In response to RonJonSurfer

Cool story of the song. I'm not a big Neil fan but that is one song that when you hear you start singing along.
"How are you out there? You staying stoned, have enough water, got a place to sleep??"
Janis Joplin talking to the crowd at Woodstock.

blue_n_white
sea turtle
11-20-07 05:41 PM - Post#413529    

In response to Sweet Jane 61

Only song I ever attempted to sing while doing karaoke.
"Well,I wish I lived in the land of fools...Where no one knew my name"....from "How Long" by the Eagles.

RonJonSurfer
Rainbow Surfperch
11-20-07 05:52 PM - Post#413543    

In response to blue_n_white

The whole Kennedy / Boston Red Sox thing really comes together now.

Lucky
Hot Tuna
11-21-07 03:41 AM - Post#413798    

In response to RonJonSurfer

I heard this on television before I read it here. It really does all come together doesn't it? I am a huge Neil fan, and I love the song!
...Naked, singin' on the windmill...

edna
Rolling Stone Fish
11-21-07 06:57 AM - Post#413850    

In response to Lucky

I thin we discussed that not so long ago... maybe a month? and we couldn´t find an answer... I´m not sure it was "Sweet Caroline" though...
Always took candy from strangers

Originally registered September, 2004.

RonJonSurfer
Rainbow Surfperch
11-21-07 01:31 PM - Post#413899    

In response to Lucky

• Lucky Said:
I heard this on television before I read it here. It really does all come together doesn't it? I am a huge Neil fan, and I love the song!

Wait a minute...you're telling me the network television media beat me to a story on SongFacts? I must be slipping.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Current Quote
"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun,
But Mama, that's where the fun is"
Shout Box
FusionBB™ Version 3.1 Final 2 | ©2003-2020 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.124 seconds.   Total Queries: 148   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT+1). Current time is 10:35 PM