PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw an NHK World segment on "Tokusatsu Renaissance," which led to a live action+Anime version of "Attack On Titan." So, how do you make nearly-nude costumed actors appear to be 12-15 Metres tall or a partial rubber-suit Assault Titan loom over 120 Metres? The behind-the-scenes mechanics and interviews with Tokusatsu directors proves that the art of super detailed miniature sets is still alive. (Going the "Godzilla" (1954) route was explained as a solution to not having billion Yen budgets for Hollywood-style DFX blockbusters.;)

Edited by Otokichi
Duz speiling caunt? I left out an "a" and "detiled" was the result!

Watched "Life of Pi" this weekend with my husband.  Anyway, if you've read the book or seen the film, you know the ending.  My husband turns to me and asks "So what happened to the tiger?"  I explained my theory to him and he said "I don't like that story".  I smiled and said "Isn't that what the Japanese guys said?"  Sorry I'm being cryptic, but I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it.  Thought provoking movie, and visually amazing, too

• 2 weeks later...

I time-shifted "Elysium" from FX this weekend and saw one possible future that's closer than we think. (Medical care these days is a matter of having the scratch to cure what ails you, so that hasn't changed now to then.) Please excuse me as I compare the dystopian world of "Elysium" with the TV series, "Earth 2," where The Elect lived far above a dusty Earth in orbiting mega space stations. At least the people of "Elysium" aren't ready to abandon Terra for a possible second Earth multiple light years away, though the future for surface dwellers is nearly as bleak as parts of "District Nine." The medics can't fix everything...yet, unlike the MedBeds of "Elysium," which takes the tale into Illegal Immigrant territory and the question of "who deserves to be cured." It is assumed that you can live forever in "Elysium" as a Citizen, but accidents and suicides make that a fable. Over at the Internet Movie Database, some posters assume that allowing surface dwellers to get medical care is either irresponsible or unrealistic Even a Capitalist/Elite should consider that a healthy workforce will help the bottom line, unless they think more robots will solve everything. Oh well, the main character faced down Hobson's choice in a bittersweet postscript.

• 4 months later...

I saw that FX network was broadcasting several interesting films, so I put "Argo" and "Les Miserables" in the time-shift queue.

I watched Argo and saw the "edited for TV notice." Having watched the "Mysteries at The Museum" segment on the "Argo movie" caper, I knew that makeup supplied by a Hollywood veteran artist played a major role in allowing the six American embassy workers to escape from Tehran. Imagine my surprise when THAT part of this true story WASN'T in this "TV edit"! If I didn't know about the importance of the Hollywood makeup kits, I'd be wondering what the movie credits mentioning the CIA's award was all about. Maybe this segment slowed the "action flow" of the movie, but to ignore it completely is an injustice to "the master Hollywood makeup artist"! (They could have cut some of the interviews with the Ayatollah Khomeini, instead, since his "let the spies rot in prison" views are/were well known.)