Songs for kids age 8 - 11

I'm doing a presentation at a middle school. I was going to incorporate some fun, dance-y music but I've realized I have no idea what rugrats that age listen to. My head is telling me stuff like Miley Cyrus and that child of the corn Justin Bieber, but my heart is telling me there's got to be something else that will hold their attention/entertain them.

Suggestions, Songfactors?

My 5 yr old and 3 yr old granddaughters like Taylor Swift and Beyonce. They watch the videos, act out the parts and choreography and they know all the words. You should see the 3 yr old do Put A Ring On It.

Then there's..."She wears short skirts, I wear T-Shirts"...I've had enough.

My advice...don't play down to the older kids.

My 7 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter love Blitzkrieg Bop.

Other favourites amongst my kids:

"Shortnin' Bread" - The Ready Men

"Istanbul" / "Whistling In The Dark" - They Might Be Giants

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

"Welcome To The Monkey House" - Animal Magnet

"Ace Of Spades" - Motorhead

"Paparazzi" - Lady Gaga

"I Predict A Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs

"This Town Aint Big Enough For Both of Us" - Sparks

"Remedy" - Little Boots

"Antmusic" - Adam & The Ants

"Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" - Ian Dury & The Blockheads

"Pretty Vacant" - Sex Pistols

"Spin This Web" - The Adult Net

"Rock Lobster" - B 52s

"Take What You Take" - Lily Allen

Still, not everybody's kids can be as cool as mine. :D

Ten Pea...Middle School? Isn't that 7th and 8th grades? If so remember these two words: raging hormones.

Anyway, don't try to guess what these kids are digging at the moment. Stick to what you know and maybe introduce them to something they may not have heard. You're only going to please a few of them anyway.

They'll love you.

Lucky, that's a disappointingly defeatist attitude. How are today's kids going to develop better taste if we don't help them by challenging the mediocrity they currently have foisted upon them? Do we want to be a part of the solution, or a part of the problem?

I agree with Uncle Joe:

Anyway, don't try to guess what these kids are digging at the moment. Stick to what you know and maybe introduce them to something they may not have heard.

...like Blitzkrieg Bop!

Mine is 6 and likes Blitzkrieg Bop, too :) . My nephews are 11 and 7 and like Drake Bell (from Drake & Josh) and since they are both taking guitar lessons, they like a lot of classic rock.

When I was in middle school in the early '80s , a lot of kids were into Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, and the Beatles.

you might check out the nearest Guitar Hero game. My son's a bit older, but whatever's on those games he knows, whether it's from my generation or his own. I was shocked yesterday when he was rocking out to "Spooky" by ARS and he said it's on his Guitar Hero game.

Peachy, what kind of presentation is it?...will the music be used as a background type of music, or are the kids actually participating to the music as in singing or dancing?

I did a talent show with my daycare class years ago...

the girls did a little skit to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"...the boys did a skit to "Grease Lightning" from Grease..

the others sang and danced to..

YMCA

Crocodile Rock

Limbo Rock

Macarena

Locomotion

The Twist

The parents and kids thought it was a lot of fun...

Ramones it is, then. ;)

There are plenty to go at though, apart from Blitzkrieg Bop; "Do You Wanna Dance?", "Rockaway Beach", "Surfin' Bird", maybe.

Then, when they've worked themselves up to heights of giddiness, "I Wanna Be Sedated". (Or "Somebody Put Something In My Drink" :) )

I would probably give "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" a miss though.

And if any misbehave, you could always threaten to "Beat On the Brat with a baseball bat". That should capture their attention.

:laughing: Wow,I agree with almost all those songs but..."Ace Of Spades" will definately show who the real headbangers are...might as well throw in "Born To Raise Hell"

Edited by Guest

Don't underestimate kids...

"The Continuous Story Of Bungalow Bill" -The Beatles

"All Together Now"-The Beatles

"Everyday People" "Everybody's A Star"-Sly And The Family Stone

Not a total suggestion list but let them hear some of the older stuff...just so nobody ever forgets it

I love you, Songfactors. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I work for a technical college and we are doing a presentation about our school to elementary school kids, not middle school kids as I first thought.

We decided to go another, more interactive route with the presentation, so ix-nay on the usic-may. I did, however, work in a short PowerPoint about our basketball teams with one of the Jock Jams remixes to get them a bit pumped up. The mix has everything from YMCA to Pump up the Jam to Rock n Roll Part 2 to Mickey.

Again, I appreciate all your input. This is the best place on the internet. :bow:

Don't underestimate kids...

"The Continuous Story Of Bungalow Bill" -The Beatles

"All Together Now"-The Beatles

"Everyday People" "Everybody's A Star"-Sly And The Family Stone

Not a total suggestion list but let them hear some of the older stuff...just so nobody ever forgets it

I have some old video of my 5 year old son (now almost 21) repeating "Hey Bumbalow Bill, what did you kill, Bumbalow Bill". That song was a keeper and I still remind him of "Bumbalow" Bill.

• 3 years later...

Hi, for middle school presentation, here are some popular number for middle school kids:

Tik Tok by kesha

I gotta feeliing by black eye peas

down by jay sean

sugar by flo rida

sexy chick by akon

whatever you like by T.I

blah blah blah by kesha

heartless by kanye west

love story by taylor swift

fireburning by sean kingston

• 1 month later...