Old LP's - How much are they worth?

Mars88

Where can I find out how much an LP is worth? My husband's record collection consists of all the "classics", The Who, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc, along with some clunkers(Flying Lizards). He also has a number of Direct-to-Disc recordings, which I'm told could have some value. The children are not remotely interested in these right now, but they might in the future (I'm not holding my breath).

I don´t know n the US but in Europe they have meetings and conventions where they sell and buy old records. I guess there must be some site for your what you need, I´ve been googling but I´m still half asleep and didn´t m find anything.

I believe Bluesboy must know something...

Many years ago I was told by the owner of a record store that it's not the vinyl that's worth the money, it's the album covers. So if your album cover is in good shape, depending on the artist/album, you may have something there.

One thing you could try just for grins is go on ebay and find out how much the albums you have are selling for. Might give you an inkling.

I know that the Meat Loaf "Bat Out Of Hell" album cover, if it's in great shape, can go for quite a bit just because of the artwork. You can see alot more of the intricacies on the 33 album cover than on any CD. A friend of mine had a poster of the album cover and sold it to a music collector for about $120 because it was in excellent condition and was 4x the size of a vinyl album cover.

It depends on who you deal with... :crazy:

The night DJ at the station is a huge collector and he has paid some big bucks for albums and sold some for big bucks. The covers are the key as stated earlier in the thread. I have many that I know would be collecables, but I couldn't part with them for any amount of money. Too many memories and heart and soul attatched.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think this collection will be given to the youngest son-the older one wants hubby's classic Triumph motorcycle.

He has Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. Also lots of the specialty ones ie. Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers with the zipper. He even has Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen, which is unopened. Almost all are in great shape, except Jethro Tull's Aqualung and Eric Clapton's Layla.

We haven't played records since the youngest son broke the needle on the player. It was a $300 needle back in the 70's. He has a replacement one which isn't quite as good, but we'll wait till the boys are less destructive before fixing it.

Some record dealers and collectros post here:

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/

It's a bit daunting some of the stuff they go into. Here's a testimonial from one of its members:

Freido says: 19 February 2008 @ 10:10 AM

Waxidermy ruined my life. Before finding the site, I had, like most people, only the occasional stirring to listen to harp records. I was active, tan and healthy. Since then, I have steadily accumulted no less than 40 harp records, some with semi-nude mermaids, others with blue pictures of jesus on the covers. Now I am mellow, pale and lazy. I spend my days eating bran muffins and making sarcastic comments to my cats while stroking my beard. Unlistenable music wafts in from speakers my eyes are now too weak to see. Damn you Waixdermy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm no expert but from what I have seen is is pretty much that same as all collectibles - condition and rarity.

Only one that I have that has much value is a decent copy of the original "Neil Young" album. I think the value is higher because it was a fairly limited pressing.

Maybe another decade or so to get to peak value for the vinyl? You have to wonder when all we all start dying off if there will really be much of a market out there. Sort of like ther isn't a big market for 78 RPM records of 1920's foxtrots these days.

• 1 year later...

One thing about collecting vintage albums or just about anything having to do with art;

It depends on how much it means to the buyer as to how much it may be worth.

I have some musical memorabilia that I would not sell even for a trillion dollars.

Some things, IMHO, are worth far more than infinite income (money).

That's my sappy thought, anyway.

;)

I had thousands of records (albums- some singles & EPs) but I got rid of most of them during the last 20 years... I payed more than a rent with what I got. Now I have some...500 or so. Most of them are collectors items so I know that in case I need some cash I can go to some places I know and sell them... but I won´t... :cool:

It´s funny, this morning I saw they offer 120€ for a 45 rpm I have on my shelves... :P